MBP13 keyboard layout keeps changing to romanian

Reaction score
In all my years using a computer ive never been quite this...

Today I had a large report due. Last night i finished it up and went to bed. all was well.

This morning i was browsing the internet when without provocation and with no warning my macbook changed its keyboard layout to Romanian. I Tried every possible freaking way to change it back but the macbook not only would not switch back to english, it wouldnt even acknowledge the fact it was using a romanian keyboard layout.

Running out of time, i shut my macbook and I go to class, i whip out my shiny macbook. I realize right then with a bubbling sense of joy that I just failed my report, and thus the class (2 reports for 25% of grade each).

I was Unable to type my password! My professors a bit of a hard nose and "sorry my mac is broken" holds about as much water "the dog ate my homework." I tried anyway and got shot down.

I got home, cryed, thought about taking a sledgehammer to the mpb, then got on my dell desktop i bought in 2003(and still use frequently to play hl1 mods online -im behind the times i know) and typed this message to you guys.

btw: if it matters, I am in California, USA and i dont speak romanian.

thank you kindly for your assistance. Your help will be a huge deciding factor in whether i continue with the mac brand. for the last year or so the comp had worked perfectly and i was overjoyed with my mbp, wondering why i hadnt switched sooner. But this .....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like some "Gremlins" got into your MBP. Let's see if we can't get them out..... try resetting the SMC first. Read this Apple KB article. LINK

If that doesn't work, reset the PRAM. Another Apple KB article: LINK

Let us know.

OP
F
Reaction score
Looks like some "Gremlins" got into your MBP. Let's see if we can't get them out..... try resetting the SMC first. Read this Apple KB article. LINK

If that doesn't work, reset the PRAM. Another Apple KB article: LINK

Let us know.

First, thank you kindly for your help! Youre amassing karma points trust me!

I did both. resetting the smc did nothing. resetting the PRAM served to fix the problem for several hours. I had a sandwich and came back, to find my mac asleep, asking for a password, had reverted back to romanian. I reset the pram again and it again solved the issue. That was about 20 minutes ago. It has not reverted to Romania yet but im still wary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.