Partition Does Not Show When Installing Lion

Reaction score
I tried installing Lion from the dvd. It installs successfully. But when I go to restart my MacBook Pro, no partitions show. I need to restart again and push the "alt" key and wait for the partitions to show.

The two DVD partitions show up as "Windows" and "EFI Boot", where Windows is actually the OS X Lion DVD. Not quite sure why it's showing up as Windows.

And my hard disk partition which shows up fine during the installation doesn't even show up at all. It basically goes through setup and can't complete the Lion install after the restart.

I was reading up on EFI boot and apparently it says it's showing that on my computer due to the partition structure, as my hard disk isn't a GUID structure. But when I run disk utility on the setup disk the disk shows up as fine, verified and I even repaired it and created/erased the partition multiple times.

Any ideas? I can run Linux on my laptop but whenever I'm trying to reinstall OS X it always goes lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you have installed Lion satisfactorily, go into Utilities > BootCamp Assistant and run that after downloading drivers, and make the partition to whatever size you wish, and then proceed with Windows install. BootCamp Assistant makes the partition, not you manually via Disk Utility etc.

Your hard drive must be GUID structure prior to installing Lion.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You tried installing Lion from what DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Exactly my question

I was unaware it was available any way but download or Apple Lion thumb drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
Is there a Boot Camp assistant iso I can just run before installing Lion?
Lion installs from the install DVD, just when I go to restart the partitions don't even show. So I can't even download drivers or anything.

I don't want to install windows either. Is Boot camp mainly just for windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are no Lion install DVDs. And Bootcamp is ONLY for installing Windows.

You pulling our whatsits?

Reaction score
Hello,

I believe you can "create" a Lion DVD disc, burning the DMG (Lion image file) to DVD.

Thanks!

Have a nice day,

Ed

OP
N
Reaction score
Alright.

In terms of fixing my hard disk structure (I dont care about losing any data on it) could I use something similar to like a grub superdisk? I tried using grub rescatux (for linux filesystems), but it can do sort of a similar thing. It has fixed my MBR in the past. I just need to modify it from an EFI structure to GUID correct? For Lion to work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.