• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Transferring videos Mac to PC

Reaction score
I am in the process of ripping my DVD collection to store and view using a WD player. I have quite a lot of previously ripped stuff on a WD Elements Hard disk, but when I try to copy a DVD I just ripped on my Mac to it, the Mac won't let me copy it.

My Mac is an iMaC running OS X v 10.6.8. The WD HD file system is NTFS.

The video is ripping on handbrake into MPEG4 I have also tried another ripper using DivX but with the same results.

The Mac is able to rip in 40 mins or so what it takes my laptop 4 hours plus to rip, hence I would prefer to do it on the Mac!

Any suggestions?

C

chas_m

NTFS is not supported on the Mac. Macs can READ, but not WRITE TO, ntfs drives.

There are some third party utilities that hack into the Mac's unsupported ability to write to NTFS and make it work. The good ones cost $20 or so.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.