Siri Will Not Understand!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
Anyone having problems with Siri not understanding? I do not have an accent and anything I say it just says a different version of cannot understand.

I have even held it up to my computer speakers where people show how it works and when it works for them it still won't under stand.

Anyone?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Anyone having problems with Siri not understanding? I do not have an accent and anything I say it just says a different version of cannot understand.

I have even held it up to my computer speakers where people show how it works and when it works for them it still won't under stand.

Anyone?

Siri understands me just fine so far. ^-^ I also don't have an accent.

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I feel I may be in the extreme minority with this issue so far, I could not find anyone with the same problem online.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How many times have you used it?

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Multiple times, I go into it every once and try it hoping it will suddenly work but never have any luck

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Multiple times, I go into it every once and try it hoping it will suddenly work but never have any luck

Have you tried changing the "Language?" I've heard some people get better results with the UK or the Aussie version.

Reaction score
:(

I'm having the same problem. No matter what I say, Siri tells me she doesn't understand. I think it must be defective since no one else seems to be having this issue and this is the ONLY thing I have even seen online that addresses the issue. How sad for us. I made an appointment at the Apple store to exchange it tomorrow..... :(

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, tried the language too. Thanks for the help lol. I am going to call Apple support tomorrow

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm having the same problem. No matter what I say, Siri tells me she doesn't understand. I think it must be defective since no one else seems to be having this issue and this is the ONLY thing I have even seen online that addresses the issue. How sad for us. I made an appointment at the Apple store to exchange it tomorrow..... :(

Well finally at least I don't think I am crazy anymore lol. Ya I am going to call Apple tomorrow. I am hoping I can take care of it at the Verizon store instead of the closest apple store cuz that is 2 hours away.

Reaction score
Been on hold with support for 25 min now. I'll let you know if they come up with any solutions... I'm doubtful though.... =\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Might be the mic in your iPhone is distorting the voice a bit. Could be wrong, but I know with older style voice recognizing softwares the Microphone was critical to it picking up the words right.

Let us know what Apple does.

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might be the mic in your iPhone is distorting the voice a bit. Could be wrong, but I know with older style voice recognizing softwares the Microphone was critical to it picking up the words right.

Let us know what Apple does.

Thats what I thought too but I tried calling people and they said I sounded normal and not messed up at all.

All you guys working on the problem keep me updated. I am going to deal with it tomorrow.

Reaction score
Sooooo... After a 55 minute phone call, I was instructed to turn Siri on and off and then restart my phone. Didn't work. Then he said maybe I had too many programs multi-tasking... Not likely considering I haven't downloaded any apps yet.... Last resort, told me to do a system reset (hold home key and top button). Still no word from Siri unless she's complaining something went wrong and/or she can't understand me. To the apple store I go....

To put things into perspective, however, the rep did tell me that he's been on the phone all day dealing with people who updated their 4 to the new OS and lost everything permanently on their iPhone (pics etc) so I guess not being able to play with my new robot pal for a few more hours until I get to the store isn't that bad....

Reaction score
Good news! I did that a few more times and she WORKS!!! Yipeeeeee. Oh and she's so worth the fight!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good news! I did that a few more times and she WORKS!!! Yipeeeeee. Oh and she's so worth the fight!

Glad your personal assistant can understand you now.

C

chas_m

And just for the record, EVERYONE has an accent. It just doesn't sound like one to you.

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And just for the record, EVERYONE has an accent. It just doesn't sound like one to you.

I know I just wanted to clarify that I did not have a necessarily strong or thick accent because I have read that online that some ppl have had problems with that

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Did u end up going to the apple store? Or what would u suggest I do to get it working? The phone reset or Siri on and off if that's all u did?

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nevermind I got it to work. All I did was turn it off and shut my phone off and then time I phone off and turn it back on and it works fine

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Wow, amazing how just turning a computer - even a phone - off and back on works so many times - and we still don't think of that first - at least I didn't, not for this issue.

I'm wondering if I head to the Apple store mid day if I'll have any luck getting a 4s or if they'll be sold out as they usually are the 1st few weeks after intro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.