Connecting hard drive to computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 10.7, iMac 21" 10.7
Hello, so I have this old computer and want to put linux on it. It can't boot from USB because the BIOS wont let it, and the CD drive is broken. I thought of putting PLoP boot manager on a floppy disk (yes, it's old enough to have a floppy drive ;)) and boot from that, but then realized the computer that needs an OS is the only computer I have with a floppy drive, so I had no way of writing the file to it. I decided to take out the hard drive and was wondering if there is any way to connect it to my computer via USB? Here is what the ports look like:

Photo_on_10-14-11_at_6.58_PM_3.jpg

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's an older ATA drive. What you can do is buy a USB hard drive carrier or adapter (you'll need a powered one for either) and insert or attach the hard drive that way. I have several real old hard drives that are ATA and need external power, and that's how I hook them up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 10.7, iMac 21" 10.7
OK, so this is probably a dumb question, but where can I get one of those? And are they expensive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.