Docs created on Mac not in iCloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad
I've been playing with iCloud between my iPad, iPhone, and Mac. Docs I create on my phone and iPad are working beautifully...syncing instantly and available on all devices. Docs I create on my Mac however are nowhere to be found. In fact, a test doc I created on my Mac isn't on my desktop despite the fact that I did "save as" to the desktop. The only way I can find the test doc is to do a search in Finder, then it shows up in "all my docs"

Where do I need to save docs created on my Mac to send them to the cloud?

Thanks!
Wendy

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've been playing with iCloud between my iPad, iPhone, and Mac. Docs I create on my phone and iPad are working beautifully...syncing instantly and available on all devices. Docs I create on my Mac however are nowhere to be found. In fact, a test doc I created on my Mac isn't on my desktop despite the fact that I did "save as" to the desktop. The only way I can find the test doc is to do a search in Finder, then it shows up in "all my docs"

Where do I need to save docs created on my Mac to send them to the cloud?

Thanks!
Wendy

A couple of things here because I was having exactly the same problem.

1) You have t sign in to iCloud and go to iWork. If you click on the Pages Tab at the top you will see a screen with all the documents you created on your IOS device. On the right is a gear icon, click on that and you can download or upload files to your Mac
2) In order to upload the files must have been saved from the latest version of Pages 4.1 or iWork 09. For existing Pages documents just open them in Pages and save a version choosing save rather than save as. This will put in the new format and you can then upload them. From there they go automatically to your IOS devices

Not quite as easy as I had hoped, but it does work. I haven't tried yet to see if synch is maintained between files once you upload.

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad
Thanks!

It works, but when I edit on the iPad or iPhone, then download to the computer again, I seem to have two copies, the original and the edited. I'm hoping to find a way to download and replace the original file instead of having multiple copies. I'm going to keep playing with it...so far I like the way it works on the mobile devices, but I'm not sold on the Mac side of it.

Wendy

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks!

It works, but when I edit on the iPad or iPhone, then download to the computer again, I seem to have two copies, the original and the edited. I'm hoping to find a way to download and replace the original file instead of having multiple copies. I'm going to keep playing with it...so far I like the way it works on the mobile devices, but I'm not sold on the Mac side of it.

Wendy

I agree. /for right now it takes some work around to get it to function. Hopefully, we will be seeing a Pages update soon that takes the fumbling out of the equation.

Reaction score
I was disappointed, I was expecting it to sync with the DOCUMENTS folder on the Mac. Most of my stuff is PDF files.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.