Anyone actually getting Photostream to work?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have tried using Photostream and it works quite well on my iPhone 3Gs and iPad2, but immediately crashes iPhoto on any Mac I attempt to run it on. All are updated to latest Lion and iPhoto versions and move to iCloud from MobileMe appears to otherwise be successful.

Ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Works great on Aperture for me. I still use iPhoto 09, so i haven't been able to use it on iPhoto.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Works great on Aperture for me. I still use iPhoto 09, so i haven't been able to use it on iPhoto.

I haven't tried Aperture yet. Prefer to use iPhoto for this as that is what my wife will use.

EDIT: Out of curiousity what happens when you switch Libraries in Aperture? Do you have to re-enable Photostream?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm really interested to hear how it works with Aperture across multiple Macs... Ugh - I guess I'm going to have to be on Lion soon.... :(

Reaction score
Works great here on iPad and iMac with Aperture. Still trying to figure out some features though, like how the Stream relates to Camera Roll, and the best workflow given one cannot delete individual photos from the Stream.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aperture is working well for me; so will have to move the wife from iPhoto to Aperture unless Apple puts out a fix before I get around to it.

On my question regarding multiple libraries, Photostream has to be re-enabled when switching.

C

chas_m

I'm using iPhoto 9.2 (aka iPhoto '11 latest version) and it works fine here. Sorry I can't be of more help, but it works.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am finding the whole iCloud universe to be somewhat uneven at this point. some things work very well and others for no reason that I can see, don't.

I have tried iPhoto on 3 different Macs (all running Lion and up to date)

1) 2009 MacMini - iPhoto 9.2 locks up and goes into a loop of startup and almost immediate crash if I enable Photostream. The only way I have found to get out of it is to use iPhoto Library Manager to create a new (empty) library and launch iPhoto using it. I then attempt to enable Photostream (which disables Photostream on my real library). The new library immdediately crashes but I then switch back to my old library and things are good again.

2) 2007 MBP - same as for the 2009 MacMini

3) 2011 MBA - iPhoto 9.2 launches and announces the library needs to be upgraded. It pretends to do it for about 15 seconds then goes into Event view as if all is well. Photostream will not enable (but at least it doesn't lockup, crash or burn). Everything else seems to work, but the next time I start iPhoto 9.2 it does EXACTLY the same thing again, including telling me the library needs to be upgraded.

Aperture works with no problems.

iMessage is great but my wife gets messages sent to her on both her iPad and iPhone (desirable). I only get messages on my iPhone unless I start the conversation from my iPad (in which case I only get them on my iPad).

I have been through the settings several times and can't figure this one out. Our setups and settings appear to be identical, but they don't perform the same.

Wifi sync so far doesn't

Documents works fine, but as you know if you have used it requires some manual intervention on the Mac end of things.

I'm not dissatisfied, or even complaining all that much, more just sharing the current state of affairs with iCloud roll out at my house. I am pleased that I upgraded to IOS 5 and love the new features and believe that updates from Apple will eventually smooth out the bumps.

IMO this is one release they maybe rushed a little on (perhaps trying to get it out and up while Steve was still with us--perhaps not) and so it is a little rough around the edges.

Glad things are all working well for you; wish they were here as well, but expect rapid improvements. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
How are you using Aperture with iCloud? I mean - what sort of workflow? Do the edited images show up on your other Macs?

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How are you using Aperture with iCloud? I mean - what sort of workflow? Do the edited images show up on your other Macs?

I do not have automatic upload enabled, so anything I want in the Photostream I drag an drop into the Photostream window. A little slow but it eventually makes its way to my iPad and iPhone.

The reverse is automatic. If I use my camera adapter to upload directly onto my iPad (or take a picture with my iPhone) the photos (slowly) appear in Photostream on my Mac. So, it works rather well I think. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like that idea - definitely. I'm curious about how it might work across 2 computers with Aperture. Is there a separate project in Aperture that is the cloud project or does iCloud mirror your project structure? I like the idea of being able to sit at my iMac edit some images - and then continue editing the same images on my MBP seamlessly.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like that idea - definitely. I'm curious about how it might work across 2 computers with Aperture. Is there a separate project in Aperture that is the cloud project or does iCloud mirror your project structure? I like the idea of being able to sit at my iMac edit some images - and then continue editing the same images on my MBP seamlessly.

When you switch computers you will have to enable photostream on your new computer and that will automatically disable it on the previous one. Photostream only allows one active library at a time.

I haven't tried swithing between on an active project to see how that would work out; will have to try it when I get home tonight.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Razor - what method did you use to migrate all your files back into Lion? Or did you not do a clean install? I used Time Machine after a clean install - and most of my Libraries are blank now. I have found one time consuming method to fix - but it's hardly ideal. Making me wish I had used Migration Assistant from the clone rather than Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.