Using Mac Mini Server As a Local Web Server Only

Reaction score
Hello,
I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this but hopefully it is.
I ordered a Mac Mini server to use for a local web server and for onsite database entry. I do photo ops for celebrities and conventions and I want to be able to enter customers in a database as they register for the photo ops. I had it set up to run through my dedicated server with theplanet for the last convention but when we arrived we realized we had no wifi access so we had to hand write everything. That just won't do so I figure a mac mini was about the next best thing to having my dedicated server with me.
So, I want to set up the mac mini server so it will host the web pages I need for the database entry and print out and for hosting the images we take for print. I think want to be able to connect to web pages hosted on the mini server with our slew of macs so my crew can enter customers as they come.
Basically it will be an on site web server that needs 0 access to the internet because it will host and serve everything I need. Is there any tricks to setting it up this way or anything special I will have to do?
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
I would recommend getting MAMP. Sounds like the best match for your needs

MAMP: Mac, Apache, MySQL, PHP

It's free and really easy to set up then start having fun coding your pages and DB. :D

Reaction score
This is a similar problem to one I'm experiencing and I'm wondering if you managed to find a good solution.

I'd like to be able to use a Mac as a freestanding webserver (not connected to the internet) that could serve documents to local devices over a wireless network.

Any suggestions or pointers very welcome!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OS X comes with everything you'll likely need but some of it isn't configured. If you don't need anything sophisticated (PHP, MySQL, etc.), simply turn on web sharing in System Preferences > Sharing. How are you planning on sharing these documents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
This is a similar problem to one I'm experiencing and I'm wondering if you managed to find a good solution.

I'd like to be able to use a Mac as a freestanding webserver (not connected to the internet) that could serve documents to local devices over a wireless network.

Any suggestions or pointers very welcome!

I would recommend getting MAMP. Sounds like the best match for your needs

MAMP: Mac, Apache, MySQL, PHP

It's free and really easy to set up then start having fun coding your pages and DB. :D

Will achieve this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Getting FileMaker server and an iPad with FileMaker Go would be a real slick solution for you.

Not cheap but certainly an option. It would also work over 3G so WIFI would not be an issue.

Leave the Mini at home or office and install FM Server on it. That is the expensive part, another $999. A FileMaker Pro license $299 for development of your DB (or a FileMaker Developer) An iPad with 3G another $629 and FileMaker Go $49.

All said it would be a pretty slick solution and very professional.

Like the other posts I myself will always look at free solutions first, but since you are looking at business solutions, a fully supported professional grade option is going to get you working and more productive much sooner. Not to mention fewer headaches and less technical knowledge needed. It works out of the box and you will have support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.