Macbook Pro fell, Have tried everything I know of...

Reaction score
Hello everyone- I've been perusing the web for a similar situation, and haven't quite found one yet.

My macbook pro fell, resulting in no visible damage, but the system consistently freezes with the "spinning beach ball" anytime I try to open a folder, application, or do anything else...
I hope I haven't overlooked anything obvious, and I can't verbalize how much some other suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's what I've done so far...

(((Macbook pro, 2.8ghz, INtel Core 2 duo, 4GB ram, 1067 Mhz DDr3)))

1- Ran the "Hardware scan" program from the applications startup disk that came with the computer. -No problems found

2- "Zap the PRAM" ("parameter RAM", powered by small battery on motherboard- restart mac, hold Control+option+p+r, let go of keys after a second startup chime) apparently this can fix some opperating problems.

3- Boot the computer up in "Safe boot" mode by holding shift during startup- allows the mac to use only basic functions. From here, I'm able to navigate within the finder well. I then ran the Disk utility to verify and repair disk/ permissions. This was completed and the hardrive appears healthy.

I'm not able to play music or video files in safeboot- and I'm not sure if this is typical...

4- Re-install mac OSX from the startup disk that came with the computer.

x

Whew! Think that's it...

besides starting up in "safe boot", The system still isn't able to do anything besides sping the beach ball cursor. The only other step I know of is to erase the hardrive and start from scratch... I'd rather not do that and have to chase down registrations for a lot of old/obscure programs.
Has anybody heard of cases where there is actually a damaged hardware component that is not exposed during hardware scan?

Any other thoughts for diagnosing what could be the matter would be
excitedly recieved. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I hate to say it but it may be a hardware issue if its under Apple Care let a Genius look at it if not take the back off and gently check all your connections. You say it fell
was the computer on when this happened if so I would still suspect the hard drive or maybe your ram got jolted out of the fully seated socket.

OP
C
Reaction score
Appreciate the good ideas! Last night I removed and re-installed the hard drive and RAM just to be sure that's not the issue. No difference in performance yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.