Old Powerbook wont backup external hdd

Reaction score
Hi,

I have this good old Powerbook G4 (1.33Ghz, 250Gb hdd) that started to show signs of weakness. I also have an old external hdd (iomega minimax 500Gb) that I have been using for many years to back up everything that I've been keeping on my Mac.

Now these 2 pieces of hardware are getting old, and I'm stuck!!

I bought a new USB2 external hdd (of 1To so plenty of space in there!!) and now I want to partition this hdd to use one half to backup my powerbook's internal hdd, and another partition to back up my 500Go iomega minimax.

The Mac is so slow it wont let me do that!! To backup the Minimax I only found out how to create an image using disk utility and to back up my internal hdd I've been using Clone X2. I think Clone X2 will do the job within about 13 hours but the Minimax back up will take approximately 100 hours! I left it running for more that 10 hours and it was not even at 10% of the progress bar. Plus, this made both the Minimax and my internal hdd run like crazy and become really hot! I was afraid something would melt or explode!

So I decided to use my Pc (Lenovo 3000 N200), but I cant find a way to achieve what Im trying to do! I tried Easeus, HFSExplorer, Macdrive and Paragon Backup.... none of these software will allow me to run my Minimax and back it up on my other external drive. I thought maybe I could create an iso of my Minimax.. but I have to use my other external drive for that since none of my computers have 500Go of space left.

Maybe there's a solution I simply didnt think of?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas you should have looked for a Firewire external case as USB is generally far to slow to permit a backed up external to boot. With a Mac, an external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and select as Apple Partition Map under Partition. With the external connected, go into Disk utility and format and partition there. the drive should appear in the left hand column.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.