Software to create resumes

Reaction score
Besides wanting to make visually pleasing resumes, what I'm REALLY looking for is software for my Mac that will save Word documents that will WORK when they go through a prospective company's resume screening software.

I currently have iWork, but I'm worried that the resume doesn't look the same on a PC as it does on a Mac (and obviously most company's will have PC's so I NEED to have the resume look the same on both Mac / PC)

Is Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac the answer? What about going all the way and creating a dual boot system and just shelling out the money for both Windows & Microsoft Office for PC? (I'd prefer the cheapest option if possible, but it needs to work!)

Thanks in advance!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Save the resume as a PDF. Problem sovled.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
And if they put the resume through screening software which is not compatible with PDF's are you just SOL?

No because you can save the resume to doc or docx files if you need to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
One bit of advise - I find that resumes created in Word on the PC don't always look exactly the same on a Mac, and visa versa. The page spacing can sometimes be off, leading to odd looking pages. I find this most with the Mac->PC approach. Clearly I do my resume on a Mac! When I check it on my old PC (keep one around because you just have to have one now and then) it sometimes looks badly. SO... CrimsonRequiem has the right answer, and it is what I do - save it to PDF. This keeps the formating consistent no matter what platform you are on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I keep two versions of my resume: one I typeset all sexy-like in LaTeX to be viewed and printed as a PDF, and one in MS Word format for those silly resume filters on online applications. Going for complete visual compatibility with MS Word documents is kind of a crapshoot even between different versions of MS Office on the same platform, but using the latest available version to create them is usually your best bet if you're relying on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
You know you can export a word document from Pages into a Word format right? I did this with my resume recently and, when I met with the company for an interview, it looked the same as how it looked on my Mac in Pages. Take note that it was not just block text. I do have special formatting and characters in it and they all came out of his printer through Word just as it looked in Pages. Good luck!

- ImageX

Reaction score
I ran into the same issue, I had created a resume in Word on my Mac, but it looked terrible in Word for the PC. Ultimately, I ended up recreating the resume on Word on my roomate's PC. I used the Word document when companies specifically asked for it in a .doc format. Otherwise, I always send the PDF.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.