editing Reminder lists in iCal

Reaction score
Switched from MobileMe to iCloud and am considering embracing the new Reminder app on my iPod in conjunction with iCal instead of ToDo (I don't really use most of the functionality of ToDo).

So far there are two issues which are holding me back:

1) Appears that you can only create new Reminder lists in Reminder, not in iCal
2) Before Reminders, To Dos were tied to a calendar, now they are tied to a Reminder list. Appears to be no way to change the color of a Reminder list in iCal. Before Reminders, To Dos were tied to a calendar, now they are tied to a Reminder list.

Anybody else find solutions to the two problems above?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Merging Reminders

I do not have an answer, but like llbean am hoping for one. I finally figured out how to merge calendars in ical, and am now hoping for the same capability in reminders. In Ical, all the reminders show up anyway regardless of what "calendar" they are associated with, but on the Iphone with IOS5, it seems like you can only view one "calendar" list of reminders at a time. Since I can't remember which reminders are on which list, I would like to be able to merge them. I hope someone knows an answer to this.

Reaction score
I found an answer

It turns out if you left click on the word "Reminders" in Ical, the various lists reminders are in comes up. Decide which list you want to have your reminders merged into. For example let's say you would like to merge "Home" and "Inbox" into "Work." First right click on "Home" and export it, just like you would do with a calendar - maybe give it a different name like "Homereminder." Similarly, export "Inbox." Then, VERY IMPORTANT! Right click on "Home" and "Inbox" and delete each of them. Only after they are deleted, then import "Homereminder" and "Inboxreminder" picking your destination as "Work."
Voila! All of your reminders are now restored in one list.:D

OP
L
Reaction score
Interesting, and if you right click on one of the Reminder lists you can change the color. So one issue solved, now how does one create a new list in iCal......

Thanks!

OP
L
Reaction score
Other thing that would be nice is if Reminders had a repeating option, just like events do on the calendar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
??? Not sure what the question is.
Reminders is a heading which is a subset of Calendars, and they are a way of grouping similar Events together.

Reaction score
I can create a new reminder in iCal and it appears quickly in both iCloud on the web and on my iPad.

I can create a new reminder list in iCal by creating a new reminder and while it is open clicking File/New Reminder List/iCloud.

Love it!

OP
L
Reaction score
Other thing that would be nice is if Reminders had a repeating option, just like events do on the calendar.

Just to elaborate, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to set up an reoccurring reminder, kinda like paying the mortgage every month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still having trouble figuring out what you think a "Reminder" is as opposed to an "Event". The latter term is found in iCal Help, the former is not.

If you mean the To Do list, although I don't use it, it's purpose is not the same as that of the Events in your Calendar. To Do items are static. That is you put it on the list until you've done it. Then you can check it off as being done, or delete it.

What you're asking about reoccurring things is what iCal Events are for. So, no, you can't use iCal in a different way than it was programmed.

OP
L
Reaction score
toMAcsh-

Sorry, didn't think it was that stupid of a question. Yes I'm talking about Reminders, what use to be To-Do on the right side of iCal, now with an entire app dedicated to it. I understand the difference between that and an event. It appears as though a Reminder has nothing to do with any calendars any more, the lists are different. Didn't know just how much it had changed with this update. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities for a basic task manager to be able to have a repeating reminder, apparently it doesn't.

Thanks-

llbean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a stupid question at all. The miscommunication might be on my end because I'm using Leopard, and thus an older version of iCal. But, it points to the advisability of always including your OS version and the version of any app you are asking a question about. This was not one of the changes to iCal that I read about in MacWorld. I guess they don't have room to cover everything.

Ila

Reaction score
I used reminders on my iPad before I got my Mac. Any reminder I create on my iPad cannot be marked as completed on my Mac. The Mac app does not have the repeat options that my iPad has. Does anyone know if reminders will be the same as on the iPad in the new IOS?

Reaction score
I now use BusyCal on Mac and BusyToDo on iPad and iPhone. Everything syncs very nicely and I get a single integrated calendar/todo experience on the Mac. Seems to do what the OP wanted.

Reaction score
iCal/ToDo/Reminders in Lion

I really loved the way Calendars and ToDo lists worked in Leopard/Snow Leopard. After switching to Lion, they no longer work the same way. AND I HATE IT!! :Shouting:

I used to be able to create an event (like a bill that needs to be paid on a certain day) and drag it over to my To Do list. I would check it off as done if and when I paid the bill, often before the date on the Calendar.

Now I have to create a new Reminder for the Event... in effect, retyping the same data all over again in the Reminder. As I said, previously, all I had to do was drag it over to the To Do list. Can't do that anymore. And it's frustrating me to no end.

DSL

Reaction score
Re: changing reminder list colors or titles in iCal, I am having mixed success (sometimes it works, sometimes not) by clicking on "get info" after bringing up the list by clicking on reminders.

Re: creating a NEW list -- I can do that in iCloud/calendar/tools, not in iCal. There in the cloud, it seems easier to change title and color, also.

And then on the iphone, I can make a new list (but no color choices) and I have to view each list separately, or by date (one day at a time).

I wish it were the same in all places. I'm so easily confused, and tend to have to re-figure it all out each time, depending upon where I am accessing reminders from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.