85W MagSafe Power Adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4g imac osx 10.5.6
Greetings. I arrived last week in the middle of Africa (literally) and found that someone had gotten into my locked suitcase enroute, and stolen my Power Adapter for a recently purchased 13' MBP. I do not know what my original adapter specifically was. However, as I went online to see what I would have to buy from Apple to replace, it appeared that mine came with 60W power adapter, and the larger 15' and 17' required an 85W adapter.

Just today from FedEx, I received from my wife a package with an 85W adpater, even though I had specifically requested a 60W. She stated that "she asked" which I assumed means the Apple rep, before buying the 85W. Naturally, I am worried that I will burn up or damage the MBP if I use the 85W.

Any advice? I'm also going nuts here not being able to use my MBP, watch DVDs, do email etc...... luckily at work I can do email.

Any assistance appreciated. Can I use it or not?

Kirk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
My wife uses my 85w brick on her macbook all the time. Has for years. You won't have a problem, at least not related to the maximum wattage the brick can output.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Your MacBook will simply "draw" the amount of energy it needs. Think of the laptop "power bricks" like automobile engines. An automobile engine could propel an automobile up to 120mph...but usually they go no faster than 65-70 mph (at least for folks that aren't breaking the speed limit ;)).

Same with the 85 watt power brick. It is capable of supplying power to a device requiring 85 watts...but it can also supply the necessary power to less demanding devices such as a 60 watt MacBook.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Macbook 13"
Hey, I have a related question...

What about going the other way? I have two 60W bricks from an old 13" Macbook and am thinking about getting a new Macbook Pro, which uses an 85W brick. pigoo3 says that I can use an 85W brick on the old laptop -- what about the other away around? Could I use 60W brick for the new MBP? Would it provide enough juice or harm the laptop?

Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could I use 60W brick for the new MBP? Would it provide enough juice or harm the laptop?

You could use it temporarily but since its current output is lower, it will take longer to charge the battery and may in fact overheat in the process. Personally, I would not use it on a machine that requires a greater amount of input current to maintain the battery and internal power.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
pigoo3 says that I can use an 85W brick on the old laptop -- what about the other away around? Could I use 60W brick for the new MBP? Would it provide enough juice or harm the laptop?

That's not what I said in the OLDER post above...and I certainly didn't say this to you...since this is your 1st post & I never replied to anything you posted before.

You also need to realize that you're responding to a 1.5 year old thread...and some Magsafe power brick connectors have changed. There are the original Magsafe bricks and Magsafe 2 power bricks. And the connectors are different.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Macbook 13"
That's not what I said in the OLDER post above...and I certainly didn't say this to you...since this is your 1st post & I never replied to anything you posted before.

You also need to realize that you're responding to a 1.5 year old thread...and some Magsafe power brick connectors have changed. There are the original Magsafe bricks and Magsafe 2 power bricks. And the connectors are different.

- Nick

Hi Nick,

My apologies for putting words in your mouth. I merely meant to say that your answer to the person who initiated this thread suggested that it was okay to use an 85W brick on a computer that comes with a 60W brick. I was curious about the other way around.

I do realize how old this thread is. Unfortunately I was not able to find a clear answer anywhere else (perhaps I'm not very efficient at using Google?) which is why I decided to post on this thread instead of starting a new one. I am aware of the new connectors and was able to find answers to my questions regarding the Magsafe vs. Magsafe 2 connectors, thank you.

As you can probably tell, I'm not an experienced forum-goer, so my sincere apologies if I've offended you in any way or ruined your reputation by misquoting you here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Macbook 13"
You could use it temporarily but since its current output is lower, it will take longer to charge the battery and may in fact overheat in the process. Personally, I would not use it on a machine that requires a greater amount of input current to maintain the battery and internal power.

Thanks for your reply, chscag! That's what I figured as well. I will stick to the appropriate brick unless otherwise necessary. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.