Installing Quicktime 7 on Lion Help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.6
So when fiddeling with a few things i deleted quicktime 7. i have since tried to reinstall this and i have got that far but now when i open QT7 up i get the following message -

The application “QuickTime Player 7” unexpectedly quit while trying to restore its windows. Do you want to try to restore its windows again?

Any help.? No idea what it means.

Thanks,

Tyler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Quicktime 7 is a PPC application. It only functioned on Snow leopard using Rosetta. Lion has since removed PPC application support. Quicktime Player 10 is its replacement.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.6
Quicktime 7 is a PPC application. It only functioned on Snow leopard using Rosetta. Lion has since removed PPC application support. Quicktime Player 10 is its replacement.

Really.? I had it on here previously and worked fine... :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Works just fine here with Lion 10.7.2 on a Mid 2011 iMac and a 2008 MacBook likewise running Lion 10.7.2. Having said that, I can't say if QT 7 would install fresh. I already had it installed when I upgraded. QT 7 is a universal app which means it can run on both PPC and Intel.

The problem is the installer. If Lion "sees" PPC code when installing an app even though it's universal, it will refuse to install it. I ran into that with several older games that are universal but use PPC code to run the installer.

Reaction score
Works fine for me too in Lion. Try moving it's .plist file to the desktop. Don't ask which one, I just looked and I have 10 of them.

Edit:chscag beat me to it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did anyone attempt to install QT 7 post Lion upgrade?

I only ask because I made an assumption that because it required Rosetta to install that it must be PPC. However I just launched it now in Lion as well, though it had already been installed.

My guess would be if it wasn't there before, you won't be able to fix it or reinstall it in Lion.

I doubt it comes on new systems.

Even the Apple site lists QT 7.7 for Leopard download. Trying to install it in Lion yields this message.

Screen Shot 2011-10-15 at 8.52.15 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My guess would be if it wasn't there before, you won't be able to fix it or reinstall it in Lion.

Good guess. :) I'm still a bit disappointed that several of my older games which formerly ran fine in Snow Leopard will not install to Lion even though they are advertised as universal.

Some guy in the Mac OS X hints forum says he was able to install Rosetta to Lion from his Snow Leopard DVD. I'm not sure I believe that though because others have said it won't install to Lion.

No more PPC in Lion. I guess that's progress. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still bummed about losing Rune on OS9.

-={CERTAIN}={DEATH}=-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.