Getting 1630 unknown error about carrier settings when checking for update in Itunes

Reaction score
Hi everybody :)

I installed the IOS 5 release and everything went fine.

But now, when I hit the "check for update" button in itunes 10.5 I get an unknown error message (1630) saying that Itunes could not check for an update of carrier settings.

My APN is correctly set and I can browse the web using 3G. In the about tab I have "Carrier 11.0" as a carrier name and "Nova IS" as network (Nova is my icelandic phone company)

However when I activate the airplane mode, I am then able to check for update in Itunes without getting this error.

Does somebody have any clue of what is going on here ?

Thanks a lot ! :)

Ame

Reaction score
Error 1630

Ehi Benj007, I have the same problem. I'm from Italy, my carrier name is Wind, and I have "Carrier 11.0" in the about tab me too. iOS 5 is running on my iPhone and everything is ok! But when I click on "check for update" in iTunes, I find error 1630, that i don't find if I put my iPhone in airplane mode. I also tried to do the "restore" four or five times in these two days, but I can't resolve error 1630. I hope someone could help us!!! Thanks...

Reaction score
I had the same problem after updating to the latest iOS5. One way around that worked with me was to disable the "Cellular Data" from the "Settings" before pushing the "Check for Update" button.

Try it out and let up know

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

May I ask if your facetime and imessage are working? It seems that I can activate it. However when I on and off the phone, I have to re-activate it again. Or sometimes I have I have no connection and the connection comes back. Reactivation again.

Also under my number it says "unknown". Anyone know why?

I'm in Iceland using SIMINN.

Reaction score
iCloud impact on iTunes device check for updates ?

When the iPhone 4 with IOS 5 is connected by cable to iTunes and check for update results in Error 1630 , one reason for this error could be that the phone is expecting to get the updates only wirelessly. This may be the case when the user has set this up with iCloud.

Reaction score
I've actually called Applecare about this. The guy advised that I can check for updates via the phone. In regards to the iTunes, it could be Apple has not updated for our carrier. The guy actually told me that they are experiencing high volumes of problems after iOS5 release.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.