How to avoid iOS 5 duplicate entries on WeekCal and Calendar?

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Just updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 and found that Week Cal (which I´m using as my standard calendar app) has duplicated every entry.
I don´t sync via iTunes, since they already warn that that would create duplicates.

Have anyone experienced the same thing?
AND found a solution to this?

Best,
Jonas

(Hey, my first post on the MacForum! ;D

Reaction score
duplicate entries in iCal and Reminders

I, too, just updated to ios5 on iPhone and iPad. Getting duplicate entries in iCal and Reminders on both devices. Also, my calendar list is crazy. Calendars I didn't create have appeared (on the device as well as my desktop) and each calendar is duplicated.

I'm sure it's something right in front of me; but, I'm not seeing it. Help!

Thanks.

Reaction score
OMG! I got it.....

First check the Calendar preferences/Accounts and make sure there aren't duplicates. If so, back up your data and then delete the duplicate.

Easier still.... I didn't find a duplicate account under iCal prefs. So I went to THE CLOUD, opened up my calendar and unchecked the duplicates. You can tell immediately if you're unchecking the right one because your events will disappear if you're wrong. Of course, if that happens, just check it again. Once you uncheck the RIGHT duplicate.... click on EDIT and delete. Same goes for Reminders.

Voila! Open up the iOS devices, and watch THE CLOUD push changes to them. No more duplicates.

I'm so pleased with myself. Hope it's all good for you too!

;)

OP
J
Reaction score
So the only way to do this is to buy the latest version of Lion (since I don´t have it) and uncheck each (of the many!) duplicated entries from the calendar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
So the only way to do this is to buy the latest version of Lion (since I don´t have it) and uncheck each (of the many!) duplicated entries from the calendar?

I would say that you most definitely do need the the latest version of Lion( it is in the minimum system requirements). After 4 days of confusing and illogical syncs and only half a job up and running on iOS5/iCloud I noticed what the specs say and upgraded last night. I had been holding off because I had been unsure about Lion and some negative reports but this is ultimately futile because you will not get the full experience otherwise.

My iPhone now syncs seamlessly with my iMac over iCloud and my system is benefitting from the enhancements that Lion brings.

With regards to the duplication problem that you have this is caused by having both "on my Mac" and "iCloud" calendars checked to sync on your iPhone whereas you need to uncheck the local calendars and just keep the iCloud calendar checked. This will then become the default and your problems will go away, but not fully until you go Lion.

Reaction score
I recently discovered that by default, iOS 5 shows ALL calendars associated with your Apple ID. For me, I have my iMac using iCal, iCloud, and my iPhone, so iOS 5 calendar shows all 3 calendar locations on my iPhone. All I had to do was open Calendar in iOS 5 go to Calenders at the top and uncheck "All from My Mac", and "All from my iPhone" and leave iCloud checked. Since all my devices sync with iCloud, thats the only calendar I need to see on my iPhone. I'm not sure if this is a glitch with iOS 5 and iCloud or is by design. Calendars on my iMac should be directly synced with iCloud and not have a local copy, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

As a note, the "All from my iPhone" only shows up if you have any calendar entries stored locally on an iOS device like the iPhone or iPod, and probably the iPad (but I don't have an iPad to confirm).

My contacts have not duplicated, and I've made sure not to create any local contacts on any device...they're all on iCloud.

Reaction score
I've also discovered that Notifications will also show duplicates due to iTunes having Calendars and Contacts checked to sync. According to discussions on Apple, the resolution here is to tell iTunes not to sync your contacts and calendars and to only sync the iOS 5 device to use iCloud for contacts and calendars.

I'll give this a try when I get home tonight from work.

Hope all this helps.

Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I've also discovered that Notifications will also show duplicates due to iTunes having Calendars and Contacts checked to sync. According to discussions on Apple, the resolution here is to tell iTunes not to sync your contacts and calendars and to only sync the iOS 5 device to use iCloud for contacts and calendars.

I'll give this a try when I get home tonight from work.

Hope all this helps.

Al

That's good work:)

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I got home from work and opened iTunes. Now that I am syncing via WiFi, all I had to do was click on my iPhone under Devices and uncheck "Sync iCal Calendars" and then apply. It sync'd and my calendars and contacts and the pull-down notifications menu is all correct now. No duplicates anymore.

I suppose you want the option "Sync Address Book Contacts" uncheck also in iTunes to correct any duplicate contacts that might appear for some of you with that issue too.

Here's what I learned with OS X Lion 10.7.2, iPhone 4S with iOS 5, iCloud, iTunes 10.5 (141), iCal, Mail, and Notifications in iOS 5:

Syncing iTunes with the two options "Sync Address Book Contacts" and "Sync iCal Calendars" checked, will cause iTunes to create copies of your address book and iCal data to the iOS 5 device(s). This is unnecessary if you have iCloud and Lion simply because iCal and Calendar on Lion are most likely setup to use iCloud now. This was done automatically during the migration from MobileMe to iCloud as well as new iCloud users during setup (unless you didn't or haven't setup iCloud on Lion).

Basically, iTunes was putting copies of iCal and Calendar from Lion onto your iOS 5 device which already has it from iCloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I currently sync my contacts manually through itunes. If I turn tat off and the icloud on to sync the events, will my events get deleted somehow?

Reaction score
my outlook calendar

Hi, I followed the steps above to prevent duplicate tnries, i.e unticked sync for calenadars and contacts, but now some a[ppointments have dropped out of my desktop outlook.

OK I have removed duplicates but I have lost important dates!

Help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.