Accidentally updated unlocked iPhone to iOS5. How to restore?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I badly need help and cannot bare the thought of all my data gone. I updated my iPhone 3GS to iOS5, but I forgot that I had it unlocked and jailbroken because I bought it in Canada not here, and needed the SIM card from Tmobile to work.

I find myself in a lot of trouble because my phone seems to be reset to factory settings, and iTunes now tells me that "NO SIM CARD can be found" in my phone, and doesn't go to the normal screens. I can't even right-click my phone and choose restore from backup option because it's not available-- the only thing there is "eject".

What could I try doing? Is there no way to simply force a restore from backup on a phone, to make everything to back to what it was?

EDIT: Crap, wrong forum. How do I delete/move thread? ;s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Um... you can NOT restore to a jailbroken state! That's kind of the point of jailbreaking, which is to not use the factory standard firmware. Sorry but, you're going to have to jailbreak it again. Good luck.

Doug

OP
A
Reaction score
If I got an iPhone 4S, would I be able to restore using the backup file that was created just before I updated?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If by backup file you mean the jailbroken state, then once again, no. Apple doesn't support Jailbreaking. Or did you mean otherwise?

Doug

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help on this, by the way.

Before I updated my (jailbroken) 3GS to iOS5, a backup was made. I saw the progress bar as it was backing everything up.

When I plug in my new 4S into iTunes, will I be able to load that backup on it? I don't want the 4S to be jailbroken, I'd just kinda like to have my 200+ contacts, thousands of images, notes etc. back

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
The backup should be in tact. However, the 4S will not be jailbroken. iTunes does not record the jailbreak during a backup. It only stores your personal data--photos, contacts, etc. There is no issue restoring a "jailbroken backup" to a non-JB phone.

Another option you might look into to regain your unlock on your 3GS is a Gevey SIM. It's kind of a hokey method, but it's cheap and it does work. Search for "Gevey SIM" on Youtube and you'll find some videos explaining how it works and what the caveats are. It would have your 3GS back up and running for less than $25, but you have to go through a goofy process if you reboot the phone.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I was able to resolve the issue by buying the iPhone 4S, and restoring from backup on iTunes. As you said, the backup seems to store mostly personal data/info, not state of the phone (jb/no jb) etc.

Phew, everything is back :)
thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.