"It Just Works..." Ok. When?

Reaction score
So I painlessly updated both my iPhone 4 ad iPad 2 to iOS 5. One of the features I was most excited about was Photo Stream, and wouldn't ya know, it's not working. Neither is wifi sync. Yes, I have both turned on. I've taken a few test photos with my iPhone and none of them are showing up in photo stream on my iPad. It's driving me nuts. Anybody have any idea how to get this stuff working?

SN: is anyone haven troubl downloading/updating apps? Certain apps (ie Facebook) will not download. When I try on my devices it just sits there with the loading bar doing nothing. I get popups saying unable to download at this time. I also tried downloading through iTunes and I get a network error (3259 I believe). But my network is fine, and again, it's only certain apps.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Have you enabled Photo Stream on your Mac app also? WiFi Sync and Photo Stream are "just working" here flawlessly! I'm well impressed :) Something else to see my iPhone "just there" in iTunes without any physical connection!

Reaction score
After upgrading to OS 5, Photostream seems to be working for me.

However, 2 movies I purchased on my PC via the iTunes store were downloaded to iTunes on my PC but I still can't figure out how to find them on my iPhone4 or my iPad2... Anyone got any ideas? Is the cloud overwhelmed?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Photo Stream is not just working for me . . . very buggy at this point, but I do have iMessage and find my Friends working. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm on a PC, not a Mac. But I have everything enabled in iTunes that should be for WiFi Sync, didn't see anything for photo stream though.

OP
B
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on certain apps not downloading on my devices or in iTunes?

Reaction score
PC shouldn't affect anything. I set up my wife's iPad with iOS 5 on her PC after getting my iPad updated on the iMac, and both were painless (other than the understandable server slowness).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I'm on a PC, not a Mac. But I have everything enabled in iTunes that should be for WiFi Sync, didn't see anything for photo stream though.

I have only seen the photo sync options on the IOS devices and iphoto for Mac OS. I have not seen a PC centric way of accessing your pics. They aren't even viewable on the icloud website so I assume there is simply no PC support for that particular feature at the moment.

-MikeM

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
PC shouldn't affect anything. I set up my wife's iPad with iOS 5 on her PC after getting my iPad updated on the iMac, and both were painless (other than the understandable server slowness).

Did you do photo stream with a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just noticed something interesting on the system requirements page:

PC
■Microsoft Windows 7 or Vista (Service Pack 2 or later)
■iCloud Control Panel 1.0
■iTunes 10.5
■Outlook 2007 or 2010 (recommended for Contacts and Calendar)
■Safari 5.1.1 or Internet Explorer 8 or later (for Bookmarks)

I have yet to see this control panel for download. Looks like there may be more PC integration coming in some form.

-MikeM

edit:
More digging found this in the icloud website help link:

Add photos from your Windows desktop to your Photo Stream

From your Windows desktop, drag any photo to the Photo Stream Uploads folder you chose in the iCloud Control Panel.

OP
B
Reaction score
hmmmm... I wonder if that has anything to do with it ;-)

Oh trust me, I'm raising my standards :) Currently in the process of transitioning. I'm deployed right now, but my first purchase when I get home will be a shiny new MacBook Pro.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, so to update the situation, I downloaded the iCloud tool for PCs, and pictures taken on my iPhone are showing up in the folder on my PC, however still are not showing up on my iPad. This is getting very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Might be a silly question . . . but are both the iPhone and iPad using the same iCloud Apple ID?

Reaction score
I have only seen the photo sync options on the IOS devices and iphoto for Mac OS. I have not seen a PC centric way of accessing your pics. They aren't even viewable on the icloud website so I assume there is simply no PC support for that particular feature at the moment.

-MikeM

Mike,
How did you turn on Wi-Fi Sync in iPhoto? I have the iPhone and iPad working but the photos won't upload to my mac.

Thanks, Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mike,
How did you turn on Wi-Fi Sync in iPhoto? I have the iPhone and iPad working but the photos won't upload to my mac.

Thanks, Jeff

All I did was install the iPhoto update and afterwards, when I started up iPhoto it prompted me to setup Photo Stream.

Are you running Lion on your Mac? Rumor had it that Snow Leopard would eventually get iCloud support but not yet. I assume that even if you are running iLife '11, if you don't have Lion, it may not work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.