Is iMessage useless on a wifi only iPad 2?

Reaction score
I downloaded ios5 and wanted to try to message my friend. He has an iphone4, I don't know if he has ios5 yet. It would not send a message at all. The apple website said when referring to iMessage:
"*For iPad with 3G, normal carrier data rates may apply."

Does that mean iMessage for wifi iPad 2 is just a useless app?

OP
B
Reaction score
So I guess I should ask everyone, is there anyone out there with a wifi only ipad2 that has iMessage up and working?

Reaction score
The person you're sending the message to has to have iOS 5. I've been texting all day on my wi-fi iPad2.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's working on my WiFi iPad I 16GB. People on the other end have to have IOS5.

Reaction score
Working here too.

EDIT***
Figured out the picture question, iPad only apparently. Sorry to thread-jack.

Reaction score
I tried this last night from my iPod Touch to my friends iPad with Wi-fi. Like the others stated, it's free, but only with other iOS 5 users.

Reaction score
Not working on iPad 1

Hi, this thread is very interesting. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1. Both now on IOS 5. iMessage on iPhone working fine exactly as described. My son has iPhone 4 with IOS 5 and we're texting to one another over wifi with no problem. My iPad will not send or receive a thing. Any ideas? Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.