Pentium iMac 21.5" starts up but screen is black

Reaction score
Need expert advice! Just bought the new pentium iMac 21.5" and brought it with me to Cuzco, Peru. It must have gotten jostled in transit and now the monitor is dead although the computer seems to be working fine otherwise. After talking with Apple support, it seems possible that maybe the video card got dislodged in transit. I attached an external projector but it does not receive the signal. There is no nearby authorized mac service provider, and sending the computer back to the US is not really an option. Debating taking it apart to fix manually (thereby voiding my warranty) and wondering if anybody thinks this will be a simple fix or if I am better off waiting 6 months when I return to the states to take it back to the apple store.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Need expert advice! Just bought the new pentium iMac 21.5" and brought it with me to Cuzco, Peru. It must have gotten jostled in transit and now the monitor is dead although the computer seems to be working fine otherwise. After talking with Apple support, it seems possible that maybe the video card got dislodged in transit. I attached an external projector but it does not receive the signal. There is no nearby authorized mac service provider, and sending the computer back to the US is not really an option. Debating taking it apart to fix manually (thereby voiding my warranty) and wondering if anybody thinks this will be a simple fix or if I am better off waiting 6 months when I return to the states to take it back to the apple store.

Apple maintains service reps almost everywhere and they pay for shipping, at least in the US (turn around is pretty quick-at least in the US).
Since your other options are to do without your iMac for six months or potentially void the warranty why not let them take it. If something happens to it, it's their nickle and they will fix or replace.

EDIT: did some research and it isn't clear to me. You may be right that you have to carry it in to one of their local reps (see link below for reps in Peru).
But, it would be worth asking (if you haven't already done so) if they will ship to and from the repair site.

http://www.apple.com/lae/buy/locator/index.php?ctry=PE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.