Lion iCal not syncing to iCloud calendar

Reaction score
No problems installing iOS 5 on my iPad 2 yesterday, updating Lion and setting up my iCloud account. All very nice, but iCal on my iMac is not syncing with the iCloud calendar. Yesterday I created a new appointment on the iPad. It appeared quickly in the iCloud calendar. As of this morning, it has not appeared in the iCal calendar.

I just discovered that the "Sync iCal Calendars" box was checked in iTunes/Info for my iPad, but when I saw the notice at the bottom that "Your calendars are being synced with iCloud over the air. You can also choose to sync calendars with this computer. This may result in duplicated data showing up on your device" I unchecked that box, but this should have affected nothing. In Lion System Preferences, iCal is set to sync to iCloud.

Just a big server delay thing maybe? I can't find any user manual for iCloud though, and wonder if I've missed something.

Reaction score
Lion iCal not syncing to iCould calendar

At first I thought this question was posted in the last 24 hours but saw that it was done long before that lol. In case you're still wondering, or anyone is for that matter, I found that in order to be able to sync your iCloud calendar to your mac osx lion calendar you must first open up prefs in iCal and go to accounts, then add new account. Here you will have the option to select "iCloud" account. Once you do, you will notice that you will have a duplicate of every event in your calendar. This is because it is displaying "your mac calendar" and "iCloud" calendar all at once. All you got to do is click on calendars on the top left and deselect all the "your mac calendars" leaving solely iCloud. Thats it!

Reaction score
Thank you!

Ferrari ...

I just went through the whole process of registering for this forum and activating it via validation email, just to thank you for your post.

It was driving me nuts ... not duplicates, but the fact my iCal wasn't showing my iCloud calendars at all. Adding a new iCloud account in the manner you suggested worked perfectly, and I thank you again for taking the time to post what you discovered, and for the process to follow that got my iCal working again!

Have a great rest of the day.

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
ferrari -- Thank you from me too! Actually I did post that this morning. Just got home from work and bingo, got it going. What a relief. Odd this simple instruction was not posted in a manual somewhere. Thanks again.

UPDATE: and then go into iCal Prefs to reselect the default calendars. They will still be set to My Mac calendars and will turn those calendars back on if you do a default action, like create a new appointment.

Reaction score
iMac iCal not syncing with

Same problem...I have tried to follow the answer given by Ferrari jd...but, when I open preferences in iCal, add accounts...I get the options CalDAV, Exchange, Mobile Me, Google , Yahoo, but no option for iCloud. I have checked for any software updates...I'm up to date. Any ideas?

Thanks on anticipation.

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
Same problem...I have tried to follow the answer given by Ferrari jd...but, when I open preferences in iCal, add accounts...I get the options CalDAV, Exchange, Mobile Me, Google , Yahoo, but no option for iCloud. I have checked for any software updates...I'm up to date. Any ideas? Thanks on anticipation.
Did you enable iCloud in Apple/System Preferences/Internet & Wireless on the Mac?

Reaction score
Demapples. Thanks for replying.

In System preferences, I have Mobile Me, Network, Bluetooth and sharing...no iCloud. But...when I sync my iPhone i have the 'calendar being synced by iCloud' button checked.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Did you upgrade Lion on your Mac to 10.7.2?

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
Demapples. Thanks for replying.In System preferences, I have Mobile Me, Network, Bluetooth and sharing...no iCloud. But...when I sync my iPhone i have the 'calendar being synced by iCloud' button checked.Thanks again
I presume you downloaded the Lion updates that came out yesterday?

I'm just the blind helping the blind. If there's a step by step manual out there for this I haven't found it. Finally got it all working, but thanks to other forum posters and my experimentation.

Reaction score
Happy to help guys. I spent all yesterday night going crazy with all these little things. I find that if I don't understand how everything works, I can't go to sleep lol.

BB8185, I know this might be a stupid question, but did you upgrade to the latest version of lion? Because if you haven't, then your mac does not have iCloud yet, therefore your Calendar/adress book, etc. cannot be synced via iCloud.

Reaction score
Nighthawk4 thanks.

I'm now getting out of my depth technically. I have Mac os x Version 10.6.8 When I check for updates it claims that I am up to date. Apologies for the naievety.

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Ferrari jd, that doesn't sound stupid to me...I just checked for updates (yesterday), downloaded and installed them. I did update iTunes etc...

This is brain mushing stuff...

thanks for your time.

Reaction score
BB8185, I think that's the problem. I seem to be running 10.7.2 and I updated last night. If I'm not mistaken, 10.6.8 is still Snow Leopard. Looks like you gotta buy yourself the 20$ lion update :p

Reaction score
Similar problem to op

So I updated my mbpro and installed icloud, did the same thing with my ipad2. icloud is working on both devices. In ical all my calendars show up. I have a personal calendar with my gmail, and a work calendar with google calendar that many people are able to update and the updates are pushed out. In itunes, i do not have the calendar set to sync. The problem I'm having is only my personal gmail calendar is showing up on my ipad, the google calendar set up by my office is not showing up. I know icloud is working because my gmail calendar is on the ipad. I've tried every possible combination of calendar syncs with the ipad............ any ideas?

Reaction score
iCloud Calendar empty except for Birthdays

I have sync'd my iMac, iPhone and iPad with iCloud. I have nothing in my iCloud Calendar except for Birthdays and two lots of Birthdays in my iMac Calendar. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
subscriptions & icloud??

Here's another icloud syncing question. I have a tripit calendar subcription on my mac's iCal...however I don't see it in iCloud and it's not syncing to my iPhone. the tripit calendar shows up on my phone, but none of it's events.

anybody able to sync up subscribed calendars through icloud?

Reaction score
icloud and reminders in ical

I've managed to sync my ical appointments across my macbook pro, ipad and iphone but i'm having problems with the reminders.
If i set up a reminder on my ipad or iphone without a deadline or alert no problem. If the reminder has an alert or deadline it doesn't apear in my reminder list on my macbook pro (ical).
Additionally if i change an icloud reminder on my macbook pro's ical so that it has a deadline or alert it disappears from the list.
Anyone else having this problem? Anyone found a solution?
Cheers
Andrew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.