How to delete photos from photostream once their in the cloud

Reaction score
HI there...

Took me about 6 hrs to update my iphone4 and ipad2 last night thanks to loads of 'internal error' messages and then needing to restart and backing up the phone all over again!!!

Anyway its done now :)

BUT....

Among other little issues with iOS 5 like why is there no location based reminders on ipad and why when your setting up a location based reminder can you only select an address in the address book and not just enter a google map location... etc...is this big one..

How can you delete photos from photostream?

So I take a photo of my cat... very nice.. uploaded to icloud and available on my ipad.... get sent a txt with a photo of my friends cat... great that seems to auto get sent to icloud and is available across my devices...

... then my friend for a joke sends me a pic of a baboons ar$e and... yep.. you guessed it.. that is also uploaded to icloud and is then on photostream...

So I go to delete the photo from my camera roll... easy... then from photostream....

AH... No delete button!?

Aparently you can log into icloud and reset the photostream... but then I lose all my photos of cats!

Did apple make a simple error of forgetting to give us this basic simple functionality??

PS.... Im not obsessed with cats and monkeys.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Pics are are uploaded to photostream when they are saved to your camera roll.

Just receiving a picture in an mms message or email won't automatically send it to your photostream, you have to save it first.

You don't manage photostream in any way (except a 100% reset if required). It holds up to 1000 pictures, each for a a max of 30 days. After which they are auto deleted.

OP
J
Reaction score
Pics are are uploaded to photostream when they are saved to your camera roll.

Just receiving a picture in an mms message or email won't automatically send it to your photostream, you have to save it first.

You don't manage photostream in any way (except a 100% reset if required). It holds up to 1000 pictures, each for a a max of 30 days. After which they are auto deleted.

But as soon as you open a pic that been sent via txt it goes into camera roll and thus into photostream

I just think it would have been simple and effective to give us the option to delete one off photos in photostream rather than having to clear them all or wait 30 days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

If you go to photo setting on your iPhone and turn off photo stream then you should see a delete button, once done reactivate it.

If you do not want photos etc in the cloud for 30 days then log into iCloud here icloud.com and choose the app you want to deal with, I have just deleted my cloud photos to test.

Reaction score
Photostream: good idea, bad implementation

Photostream seems like a really handy new update but with no ability to delete individual photos from the photostream, what's the point? Who wants a copy of the last 1000 bad cell phone pics you shot over the last 30 days clogging up the cloud?

I sure hope someone fixes this issue and fast...

In the meantime I'm turning OFF photostream...

Michael

Reaction score
Deleting from photostream

I found the same situation. I had pictures that I wanted to delete. Thanks to your info I logged into iCloud.com, and re-set my photo stream which deleted all the pictures. Now I think I'll leave photostream off unless I know I'm going to take a picture that I want to definitely keep. Eventually Apple will correct this issue but until then I'll leave it turned off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi paulthefencer,

Your welcome, either we are all missing something and in fact you can delete individual photo`s, or if not I am sure there will be an update fix. All is new and some areas I agree need tweaking. But overall I am very happy with the new iOS.

Reaction score
Interesting to note, if you take a picture you don't like and delete it out of camera roll within a short amount of time (ie 5 seconds) it wont post to photostream. you know instantly IMO if a picuture is worth saving, and can judge to delete it or not right away.

I just tested that out now because I am as well frustrated with this function and have it off at the moment.

Moral of the story: Don't take a photo at a strip club to text a friend if u have photostream hooked up to a home computer or spouse's iphone!!!!

Reaction score
Deleting from Photostream

I overlooked paulthefencer's instructions but that does work. Too bad you can't manage individual photos but I guess you could drop the ones you want to keep in the upload folder on your MAC or PC to get them back in the cloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | iPhone 13 Pro Max | 45mm Watch | iPad Pro 12.9 | iPad Pro 11
they totally took the ability away, it was much easier in iDisk :(

Reaction score
apple TV

Hey, I'm having this same issue with a couple photos of my gf's butt that I don't want to share.

I've deleted the photos from my iphone, i've turned off photostream and deleted photostream photos on ALL my apple products (iphone, ipad and apple tv) AND i've reset the photostream on icloud.com.... the pictures no longer appear on my phone or ipad but as soon as i fire up my apply tv and turn on the photostream screen saver option, BOOM, my girlfriends butt! i love it but obviously she hates it and i dont care to share with company...

hopefully these will be "auto deleted' from the cloud in 30 days or whatever but with this lack of control and "non-transparency" of the icloud i really hope things change to put us (the user) in control not apple.

Reaction score
Deleting photos from photostream

To delete the photos in your photostream is pretty easy. Desable photostream in your device. Log in into your iCloud account and click on your name, click in advanced, click em reset your photostream. No go to your device and enable photostream.

Be advised, by doing this all your pictures will be erased from your photostream. There is no way to delete only one picture.

C

chas_m

Apple is said to be working on a future update that will give us all a little more control over Photostream, which is a really neat idea but kind of incomplete at the moment.

In the meantime, you can turn OFF the automatic import of Camera Roll pictures into Photostream, and likewise turn it off in iPhoto. That leaves you with a Photostream folder in iPhoto into which ONLY those pictures you add will become part of Photostream. For now, this is the way I would recommend handling it until the "fix" comes along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
you can delete all of them by going to your iCloud account on a computer and resetting photo stream and the new ios update is going to allow you to delete single photos.

Reaction score
deleting photos from photostream

I have recently run across this same senario and i think i have figured out how to remove them. On my iPhone 4s, there is my camera roll, My Photostream and Photo Library. I removed the images from Camera Roll and they were still in My Photostream and Photo Library.

How i removed them: delete them from camera roll, connect to iTunes, access iPhone and click Photos, click sync at the bottom of iTunes. access HardDrive Location (where iTunes saves photos on your Harddrive. Mine is under [user]\Pictures\Photo Stream\My Photo Stream) There you will be able to delete the photo(s). Once you have deleted them from there, Sync your iDevice back up to iTunes and they should be gone and now your friends won't be able to see pics of your girls booty!. Now disable sharing to photo Stream!

Side Note: If you want to keep the photos and want them "invisible" to prying eyes, get the app called "secret key" (it was Free this morning.)

Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.