ios5 - new passcode issue

Reaction score
Hi,

I downloaded ios5 last night - after a series of problems (internal issue errors etc) my phone went into meltdown. Tried repeatedly to restore it with itunes, succeeded on 5th attempt. All worked well, spent a happy hour playing with new operating system then went to sleep. When I woke this morning and switched on the phone it asked me for my passcode, but the screen had a full keypad, not just the numbers 1-0 as before. I tried typing in my apple id password, no joy, similarly my old numeric password fails. Any ideas??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 MacPro, 2016 MacBook Pro
Same Problem with IPAD after IOS 5 upgrade

Did the whole upgrade this morning. No problems although it does take a while. Had to update Lion and iTunes before doing IOS devices. IPad worked fine when finished. Ran some errands this morning. Went to use my IPAD and now it presents a full keyboard for passcode entry and my old 4 digit passcode no longer works. What is going on? I tried to do a full reload from iTunes, but iTunes is telling me it can't because my iPad is locked out?!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 MacPro, 2016 MacBook Pro
IOS 5 passcode problem

Finally was able to do a full restore. Turned off passcode. STill got prompted for an Exchange passcode ( was syncing work emails). I turned off the Exchange email account for work email. Not sure if that had anything to do with the original problem. Checked IOS 5 user manual for iPad and it still only referenced 4 digit passcode. Sot this full keyboard pass code problem is either a bug or maybe my Exchange request for passcode was superseding the IOS5 request for passcode. Will wait a few weeks and see if anyone else comments before turing iPad passcode back on.

Reaction score
I too had this problem and was locking myself out for increasing periods after upgrading/restoring my iPad. After you mentioned your exchange account, I tried my exchange account password. This worked. I guess it makes sense in that there's no point in having a high security alphanumeric if it can be accessed on the right device with a four digit code.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I built my new 4S based on my 3GS yesterday (using iTunes option to mirror an existing device when synching the phone for the first time). I had to manually re-enter my Email passwords - I think this is just a security feature.

My 4 digit lock works fine; I was prompted to define it as one of a few manual steps after the automatic build and synch (took about 8 hours!) had finished.

I've left my work iPhone 4 upgrading whilst I'm out of the house, and will be doing my iPad 1 later on so I'll see how well they go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.