Increase 'Display memory' - bootcamp?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im trying to play 'Lord of the rings: Battle for middle earth 1' on bootcamp.

After installing all 4 cds, there is this display page that tells me what I am missing in order to play the game. It says I have the proper speakers, processor speed, memory, DirectX 9 etc. but then it says I need: 32 in Display memory, but says I have 0 (zero) in display memory.

I know I have a good enough video card because Ive play Starcraft II, Dragon age and other more recent games that require better video cards.

I have a 2008 macbook pro and the video card is: GeForce 8600M GT

Ive search all over the internet but there doesnt seem to be anybody anywhere mentioning this problem.

Im almost sure to not find an answer to this but thought Id give it one last chance here.

Can I increase display memory in bootcamp??

thanks a million

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Running Windows through Boot Camp is different than through a virtual machine. Boot Camp gives you full computer capabilities, therefore most games should work for you, even if a bit slow and sluggish because your system is sort of old.

Have you installed the proper Boot Camp drivers to Windows yet? I would make sure I have the latest ones.

Here's the latest driver for your graphics card (32-bit Windows): Graphics Driver - Verde 280.26 Driver - GeForce

By the way, not to be a party pooper, but I had an early 2008 MacBook Pro with that exact same graphics card. Around a year and a half to two years later, the card died on me and I now am supposed to get the motherboard replaced (for free) even though my original one year warranty died. So I'd run a hardware test if I were you to check if there are any errors. I'm saying that because it's a factory problem that has been common in most, if not all, GeForce 8600M GT cards, which are faulty.

You can read more about it here: MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

MacBook Pro (Nvidia 8600M) GPU/Video Failures

This is how you run a hardware test: Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Best of luck.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tarek.

Here are a few rookie questions, but, what exactly do I do with this 'drive' once I download it? What is it for?

Also, I see its an exec file. Should I open it in Windows?

Lastly, thanks for the info about the graphics card messing up. I will check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
When you download the driver, you install it. Yes, of course, you open it in Windows.

You're most welcome. Let us know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.