10.6.8 loses settings every restart

Reaction score
My MacBook resets itself every time it is shut down or restarted. The dock moves to the default position and the items I have put in it vanish. The desktop photo vanishes although the clutter remains. Opening iTunes after restarting, I must agree again to terms every time. My Safari history and top sites are completely gone after restarting, and mail account has to be started from scratch each time.

The former owner of the MacBook did not have these problems. It is the Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz (MacBook2,1) running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I moved into it from a 12" Powerbook running 10.4.11 and a 15" Titanium also running 10.4.11 using Migration Assistant, but have now removed Classic and its applications, installed Rosetta, and have thrown away applications that are not compatible with Snow Leopard using CleanApp.

If it is any clue as to why I am having problems, the calendar was a mess with entries multiplying like mad until I disabled something that had to do with synchronising it with other devises.

Can anyone please guide me, in simple terms, to a solution?

OP
B
Reaction score
I found the solution. The trick was to reinstall from the original discs (10.4.11) and then upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.