iOS 5 PROBLEM! :( HELP!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I've literally just become a member on here so finding my feet with it. Like most of us on here I've just downloaded iOS 5 and such is life with me it's never as straight forward as it's supposed to be. Not sure if you've seen people complaining about this yet but whats happened is this...

I've successfully downloaded the software on iTunes. My phone then backs itself up, and the top bar on iTunes then says 'Extracting software', then as it contacts iTunes, I'm getting a message come up that says,

'The iPhone 'iPhone' cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server cannot be contacted or is temporarily unavailable'.

Never had this when I've updated my software for my phone before. Everything on my phone is up to date and everything has been synced, would also like to point out the my phone is NOT jailbroken and it is just as fresh as it was the moment I took it out the box. Don't know what else to do! Help please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's been covered quite a bit. Go check out the iOS forum, there's a thread there about this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's Apples Servers. They have to verify the device and they are so overloaded right now, they can't. It took me 50 tries. Try 51 finally worked. Same error.

So hang in there. If not, try it tomorrow.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I would say give it a bit more time. I had to try several times. Usually got some generic error message but got that message once. Tried a few minutes ago and things went fine. Bet the servers are just swamped.

I am also getting a try again later message when attempting to switch from MobileMe to iCloud. I would bet swamped update servers there as well.

Edit: As usual Dennis beat me to the answer. On the up side it did not take me 50 tries to complete the process.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks man :) thought I'd have to start messing round with firewalls and nat gates and stuff lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Edit: As usual Dennis beat me to the answer. On the up side it did not take me 50 tries to complete the process.

Sorry! :D Hey at least you did not have to try it 50 times! :D

Sticks out Tongue at Sly! :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think I'll wait until Saturday.

Need to move my backups and stuff over from the MBP so I can start syncing with the new MBA anyway.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged duplicate threads - please don't crosspost (post the same thread in different forums).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.