OMG iOS5 has bricked my iPhone 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
Halp!!!

I had the "restore" issue everyone was having, so I kept trying to update the OS with iTunes. When I try to power the phone up, the iPhone's screen shows a picture of a USB cable and says it wants me to connect to iTunes. I connect to iTunes and it tells me it sees an iPhone that is in restore mode. I click on restore mode and it says it's contacting Apple, then after a few minutes it fails and gives me the stop sign box with unknown error #3014.

o_O

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Halp!!!

I had the "restore" issue everyone was having, so I kept trying to update the OS with iTunes. When I try to power the phone up, the iPhone's screen shows a picture of a USB cable and says it wants me to connect to iTunes. I connect to iTunes and it tells me it sees an iPhone that is in restore mode. I click on restore mode and it says it's contacting Apple, then after a few minutes it fails and gives me the stop sign box with unknown error #3014.

o_O

Try doing a hard reset on your phone by holding down the Home and Sleep buttons until you see the Apple appear.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
I've tried that, all it does is give me the same "Connect to iTunes" visual indicator on the screen...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
May be just that the servers are so overloaded right now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the 6th restore attempt, I'm finally getting a "Restore in Progress" indication on the screen, so I think I may be getting somewhere...

(fingers and toes are crossed)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. Looks like it was the server issue...

6 hours after starting the iOS5 download, it's installed & operative on my iPhone. I had to keep telling it to restore, and on the 6th attempt it finally restored & installed iOS5.

Good grief.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.