Help! What has happened to my iPod Touch?

Reaction score
I have an iPod Touch (4th gen, 8gb), updating with iOS5 today. I have absolutely nothing dogey/no jailbroken crap.

It failed twice after doing the backup. I tried again, it failed again, then when my iPod is connected to iTunes, it says the following:

iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. Asking me to restore the iPod, gives me no other option on iTunes. I'm quite concerned as it doesn't have any other information about my iPod, just says n/a.

I'm using a MacBook Pro which I successfully updated today with no problem.

Help!? What should I do? Has everything gone? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"(Early 2011) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 Mac OS X 10.8.2
I'm having a problem with my iPod Touch too. I was able to update to iOS 5 with little problem, but my music doesn't transfer! On iTunes it shows that my iPod does have my music but my iPod in actuality doesn't have it. I haven't been able to update my MacBook either. The update is less than a gig but the estimated time was more than seven hours. I don't know what to do myself. I need my music on my iPod...without music the iPod is--well something that's not an iPod:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I received a new iPod Touch today from Amazon and when I connected it to iTunes, it said the software was up to date. I used the App Store thingy and it offered me all the previously purchased Apps, each with an 'iCloud' icon on them. It also links to my AppleTV2 via AirPlay.

Does this mean it is already running iOS5? How do I tell please?

Second question - do I have to plug the iPod into the mains when using it with AirPlay to stop it from switching off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just go into your Settings and then click on about...it should say what you're running. If you iOS 5 it will say 5.0, if not it will say something different. About AirPlay...I've never used it so I wouldn't know. Sorry. Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It says Version 4.3.5 (8L1).

Of course it also says Capacity 59.1 GB. It says 64 GB on the back.

Who stole my 4.9 GB? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple stole it from you! If it's 4.3.5 that means that you should be able to upgrade to 5.0. My wife has a second generation so her iPod stopped at 4.2. I don't know what to tell you. Before I updated to 5.0, I was 4.3.5 so I don't see what would prevent you from getting 5.0. When you say "new" iPod touch, do you mean new or used but new to you? You should check what generation it is. Keep your eyes on the thief...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is brand new.

Lucky I didn't buy the cheaper 8 GB version if they are going to steal 4.9 GB :Smirk:

Not sure whether to try pushing for iOS5 or stay with it as it is now. Brilliant little device - shame they didn't add 3G to the iPod Touch as that is just about the only thing I miss - apart from the 4.9 GB of course :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried iTunes again and clicked 'Update', even though it said the software was up to date. Then it said there was a new version available.

I backed up first and then tried to upgrade. It said 45 minutes to go (slow Broadband link). It reached about 20 minutes and timed out.

I tried again and this time it has worked :)

All seems to be working correctly. It added Reminders, Newsstand and Messages. Still finding new things in Settings. Shame my Apple ID is not the same as my MobileMe (and hence iCloud) ID :(

Edit - So now my iPod insists on connecting to iCloud with my Apple ID - with the result it does not connect to my real iCloud account. Wrong email address, no email, no calendar appointments, etc.

Hope Apple get this fixed soon :(

Edit2 - I fixed it I think. I just went into Settings and added a new Mail account, using my real MobileMe account. At least the Mail works now. Calendar works too. Brill. Much happier now :)

Still not going to risk my iPad for a while though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.