iOS 5 & iPad - internal error downloading and cannot be restored

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 13"- Late 2009, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD running OSX 10.7
iOS 5 update problem.

Every time i go to upgrade to iOS 5 it backs-up the iPhone (4) and then stops and says "the iPhone cannot be restored. An internal error occurred"
I'm not sure what the problem is. I have iTunes 10.5. I've rebooted my macbook but its still not working, this is my 5th try at it.
cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
Having same problem here...

OP
alexwillard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 13"- Late 2009, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD running OSX 10.7
Could it be the fact that Apples servers can't handle the traffic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
Doubtful, as the issue doesn't seem to be a download one, but rather an installation one. I did get kicked off the servers while downloading, and perhaps something got messed up in the download itself. Will try going in and removing the update file, and re-downloading it. See if that helps maybe.

OP
alexwillard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah thats true, my update was stupidly slow but otherwise fine. Maybe a corrupted file on the iPhone somewhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) 2.26 GHZ, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD
Same issue as everyone else. can't access my phone either. I hope the backup is still there or I'm leaving the iPhone for a Droid.

Reaction score
Same problem here, I also downloaded the 2 huge updates mac released. one was over 800MB and the second is about 400

Still same problem, internal error can not update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Im having the same issues. I left the room on my first download due to the hour download time and came back to see I was booted off the download. Now that I have the download Im getting the same internal error message. This is frustrating!

Reaction score
iOS 5 is not dowloading on my iPad. I get the response "The iPad could not be restored. An internal error occurred"

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Problem solved for me, I kept trying to update and on the 4th or 5th time it worked. I noticed the progress bar on iTunes said verifying restore with apple several times so my guess is the servers there are getting overloaded. Took me about three hours all together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I've got the 2 massive updates from Software Update going right now.. I'll wait for those to finish and then try it again a few times I guess.

Anyone else solving their issues?

Reaction score
Ive tried updating mine, all I now have on my iphone is a black screen with the egg timer esque spinning circle thing, any ideas on resetting my phone or restoring it as I cant get it to connect to itunes or anything???

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Same problem here. Haven't been around to see the verifying with Apple screen so it may be due to heavy server traffic.

Reaction score
Same issue

I am having the "Internal error occurred" problem as well. I have now tried 13 times to update but problem persists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
upgrade

I did it the other way round, took iOS 5 download in iTunes initially which was
the longest update, I've seen.

Doing 10.7.2 now which is required for moving your MobileMe to iCloud.

Another very big update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP late '08, Lion, 26" cinema display, iPad, iPhone 4, Airport Extrm, Dell Latitude E6400 Win 7
Same problem here!

Reaction score
Need the same help, I'm getting the same error. i'm trying to upgrade a first-edition iPad.

Reaction score
Me too. When I click on "More Information" I see this:
We're sorry.
We can't find the page you're looking for.
Please return to the Apple Support homepage.

Hopefully it's just a server overload issue. I'll keep trying.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Imi

Reaction score
Hey people

The only thing I found that worked for an iOS5 upgrade (on my 32GB 3GS) was to restore the stupid thing to factory settings from the phone and then try the restore/upgrade button in iTunes.

My reasoning was that I wouldn't be waiting ages for the backup process before it tried Apple x times.

It worked! Just upgrading now.

(And then the pain of putting everything back in the right place...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.