iOS 5 & iPad - internal error downloading and cannot be restored

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not sure but may be working. Got a message that it had been restored to factory defaults and was being restored from latest backup.

Reaction score
IOS 5 update problems

Just called apple support and they confirmed that they are experiencing problems with the update due to excess traffic on the server. Their advice, just try again tomorrow. :|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Again, just be patient. Servers need to verify the install and are SO OVERloaded right now. Just keep trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
i am at the apple store right as I'm posting this and it is do to internet traffic apple is saying that customers may have to try back later

Reaction score
On a morning where I was making fun of all my friends with Blackberry's....i guess it is karma for me.

Reaction score
Addresses have populated from iCloud to my iPad, but Calendar on the iPad still empty. Gotta go do other things for a while. Hopefully will populate from iCloud in meantime.

UPDATE: all I had to do was go into the calendars button and turn on the calendars: my stuff was there all along.

Reaction score
Hi people I am from India. I have a iPhone 4 and I have the same issue as every one does. Cant install iOS 5. So please try this

1. Install newest version of iTunes while do not connect your iPhone, iPod or iPad yet.
Once installed, run new iTunes for a while then close it.
2. Windows users simply go to folder
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates (replacing C: with the appropriate drive letter)
3. Mac users need to locate it.
Cut and paste files there to somewhere else.
4. Do not delete them in case the steps does not work for you, you can still copy them back to the folder. You can find out your username by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
5. Put your iPhone into DFU Mode, i.e, Recover Mode
Finally, proceed with iOS 5 restore procedure

Reaction score
finally got 'er done on my iPad.

Now for the 100th+ time I'm going to try on my iPhone...ugh.

Reaction score
Got it on the iPad, but I had to reload all 20+ gig of music back on, which is now in its second hour of processing. Not even sure I want to try this on the iPhone.

Reaction score
Thankfully my 4s is shipping with iOS5 pre-loaded, otherwise I might scream.

Reaction score
Hi people I am from India. I have a iPhone 4 and I have the same issue as every one does. Cant install iOS 5. So please try this

1. Install newest version of iTunes while do not connect your iPhone, iPod or iPad yet.
Once installed, run new iTunes for a while then close it.
2. Windows users simply go to folder
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates (replacing C: with the appropriate drive letter)
3. Mac users need to locate it.
Cut and paste files there to somewhere else.
4. Do not delete them in case the steps does not work for you, you can still copy them back to the folder. You can find out your username by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
5. Put your iPhone into DFU Mode, i.e, Recover Mode
Finally, proceed with iOS 5 restore procedure

Worked like a charm with my iPad. Thanks for a great suggestion. I'm on a Mac and you can search for the directory "iPhone Software Updates" to locate the file. NOTE: go through the process once and let it fail so you have a valid backup. Second, at least on a Mac, you need to hold the ALT/Option button down when you click Restore. That will open a Finder window and allow you to navigate to the upgrade file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.