Problem updating to iOS5

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Each time I try to update to iOS5 this message pops up

A new iPhone software version (5.0) is available, but requires iTunes 10.5. Would you like to download iTunes 10.5 now?

I have downloaded 10.5 3 times, and this message still comes up.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I hate to ask the obvious question, but did you attempt to reboot your system?

It could help.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Also every time i start iTunes it says " this copy of iTunes will expire in XX hours"

I have no idea what is going on

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Check iTunes' about dialog to make sure that you're running 10.5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think if it were me, I would remove iTunes completely from the system, run whatever maintenance program you may run (I.e. Clean My Mac etc...). I'd then reboot, and then do a fresh install of iTunes.

Again, this would be a quick fix until we can narrow down the specific issue.

Just my 0.02 cents.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
I think if it were me, I would remove iTunes completely from the system, run whatever maintenance program you may run (I.e. Clean My Mac etc...). I'd then reboot, and then do a fresh install of iTunes.

Again, this would be a quick fix until we can narrow down the specific issue.

Just my 0.02 cents.

I am doing this now, thank you for the suggestion.

Reaction score
Computer Programmer

HEY! I had this same problem... you DON'T need to uninstall and go through all that mess. All you need to do is download a FRESH copy of iTunes from Apple and install it. I promise this works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HEY! I had this same problem... you DON'T need to uninstall and go through all that mess. All you need to do is download a FRESH copy of iTunes from Apple and install it. I promise this works.

I figured that would work as well, but figured this would be a more thorough route to follow, and could possibly save time if your method might not have worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 16GB WiFi
I am going crazy trying to get my pc, Dell XPS One (vista) to update to iTunes 10.5 so I can update my iPad 1 to ios5! This is the computer it is synced to. First the update failed several times, then on another forum it was suggested to turn off antivirus (I have the free Avast). I did that and still failed. Next it was suggested to uninstall the antivirus, did that still failed.

I have a brand spanking new MacBook Pro and was going to switch the iPad to that but thought to get the update done on the pc first. I also have a laptop Dell Vostro (XP) both of these computers updated to iTunes 10.5 with no problem.

I tried hooking up the iPad to the mac, did a sync and now everything that is on the iPad appears to be in that iTunes. Not everything from the pc iTunes is on the iPad, I have several TV shows and some music not on the iPad. But I can't upgrade there as that is not where I purchased the apps etc.

The next suggestion was to uninstall iTunes and reinstall. First I backed up the iTunes media file to an external hard drive (seagate goflex that is supposed to be mac compatible) I followed the directions on the apple site to uninstall and reinstall iTunes, but have had nothing but trouble.

I get all sorts of errors, first it says CoreFoundation.dll was not found and reinstalling the application may fix. So I try to reinstall then "encounters errors, reinstall" install again, get 0x80070002 error and while I was googling that I get a message iTunes is installed!! Yay?? No joy, as soon as I click finish I get error that Apple Application Support is required, uninstall and reinstall......yet again all the above happens: the uninstall of everything, run ccleaner, restart install and this time the end result is that "Apple Mobile Device failed to start. Verify you have privileges...."

I did it all over once again and this time the end result was iTunes installed but again Apple Application support was not found...... Gahhhh!

Is there any way I can move the saved iTunes media file from the xhd to the mac and then update the iPad there???? I am not technical at all and my head is spinning at this point. I've spent 3 days trying to get iTunes updated to no avail...... What if my pc had exploded and wasn't even there any more? How would I sync and backup my iPad then??? I am about ready to blow it up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 16GB WiFi
I've installed and uninstalled iTunes about 20 times in the last few days. All the installs failed either Apple Application Support or Apple Mobile Device Support wasn't there. I've given up, I'm done trying. iTunes no longer exists on my pc (Dell XPS One w/vista ultimate) nor does any other Apple program, not one bit of Apple remains. That computer is dead to me!!

Now, I have the iTunes Media folder (from above dead computer) copied to an external hard drive (seagate goflex 500GB). From what I have read, I could have hooked up the hard drive to my brand new MacBook Pro and moved that saved file to my Music folder. IF I had not already hooked up my iPad1 to that computer and transferred purchases to it. Thus I have stuff in the iTunes folder. (There are things in the saved folder that were not on my iPad, ie TV Shows and podcasts and additional music.)

After more reading I see I can create another library for iTunes. My question is can I do that and then move the saved iTunes Media folder into that? Or create a new folder in Music and move the iTunes Media folder into that?? Which is better? If I do finally get it moved can I then delete the duplicate folder/library??

I need to do this so I can update my iPad to ios5. The iPad was synced to the above mentioned dead computer and I have no way now to deauthorize that iTunes account. If the Media file is successfully transferred to my mac will I be able to update it there?

I am so confused and not the least bit technical, on top of being a brand new switcher. Please can someone help me sort this out! Any help would be ever so greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 16GB WiFi
Wow, 1,367 views of this thread and no one can help me? No one can tell me if I am on the right track? I don't want to mess up iTunes on my new macbook and really hoped someone here would be able to help me.........

Reaction score
"Update" will cost me a lot of time

I updated to iOS 5 and then 2 of my apps (both downloaded from the App Store) disappeared. I see no way to reclaim the programs. This is probably my ignorance, but I saw no warnings from Apple before I updated. This is such a Microsoft type of stunt for Apple to pull.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.