G5 sharing to Airport Express

M

macinport

Greetings from Port Douglas Australia. Hope someone can help coz the local Apple shop can't. I have an ethernet network with a windoz xp pc with USB dsl modem, a G5 with airport card (OSX Tiger) and a G4 without airport card (OS 10.3.9) in another room. All working together fine, sharing files, printers and internet.

I bought an Airport Express (AE) to connect to the G4 so I could have that connect wirelessly to the G5 and eliminate the need for an ethernet cable running through the house to the G4. Tried everything I have read but no luck after many hours messing around. The AE will work when connected to the hub with ethernet and allow the G5 to connect wirelessly but I want to do the opposite...have the G5 share it's internet connection out to the AE which then connects to the G4 with a short ethernet cable.

Does anyone know of a good step by step procedure to set this up? I've looked on many forums but no one talks of a setup similar to the one I'm attempting....

Appreciate any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Not sure if you can do this, you have to create a shared network on the G5 in order to have NAT between the ethernet port and wireless, but I don't know if your Airport Express can "join" your G5 shared network. This is where you'll probably need another Airport Express connected to your hub in order for the one on your G4 to connect to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.