jpg attachments missing when received in Windows

Reaction score
iMac: new mid-2011.
Problem: When I send a Mac Mail message and attach a jpg image with .jpg extension using the paperclip attachment method, the recipient using GroupWise cannot see any attachments, only the message.

I did a bunch of searching for the problem. Can't believe that such an essential function is problematic in the Mac>PC world. I set the "Windows-friendly" checkbox in Mail/Menubar/Edit/Attachments and am trying a number of other workarounds I found on the net, including some methods for the GroupWise user to try (view as HTML, etc), but I just wanted to check here: This seems to have been a headache for Mac to PC users for years, and not getting better? Is that true? Is sending jpg images from Mac to PC sketchy?

C

chas_m

I've been sending JPG files to Windows users for at least 20 years now ... I've never had an issue. I'm glad you set the "Windows Friendly" checkbox but perhaps you should also try (at least as an experiment) right-clicking on the "inline" attachment and choosing "show as icon" (which should make no difference but perhaps it will help).

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
What worked in this case was the GroupWise recipient switched to HTML view in GW, then the image became visible and he was able to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
C

chas_m

What worked in this case was the GroupWise recipient switched to HTML view in GW, then the image became visible and he was able to use it.

How odd ... given that Mail can't even compose in HTML unless you are using Stationery ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
Html

The publishers comments for Tamer says "send images embedded in HTML layout and safely mix embedded images with other attachments;"
Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
How odd ... given that Mail can't even compose in HTML unless you are using Stationery ...

If it's rich text, it's a markup language.. so.. it'd depend on the actual clients interpretation. Perhaps Groupware requires HTML viewing for any non-text email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.