Running windows on a Mac

Reaction score
I have had my MacBook about 2 months now and love it! For somethings at university I need to use windows. I don't want to do a dual boot.

So I have a couple of questions: Can I run windows of an external HDD? I have read a couple of things about parrells?

I will be using windows for running some windows files in the command prompt. What is my best option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Windows will not install on an external hard drive ~ one of their anti-piracy measures. Best option may be Parallels which does not require booting into Windows.

Reaction score
Windows will not install on an external hard drive if you are wanting to dual boot. But that's not what he wants to do. You should have no problem running Windows in a VM (Parallels, Virtualbox, etc.) and putting the virtual hard disk on an external hard drive attached to the host machine (your Mac.)

OP
T
Reaction score
sfam198 - I have had a look at Parrallels, VirtualBox and VMware.
Apart from the price are they any different? Also is Virtual box free?

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
VirtualBox is free and does a fine job. It lacks the flair of Fusion/Parallels and some of the more advanced features but it gets the job done.

Reaction score
what do you do at your uni that you cant do with your mac? My wife who just recently Graduated last may from college said the same thing. i was able to get everything they told her she couldn't do with a mac working for her last 15 months of school.

Reaction score
@tomelk31 -

VMware is pretty much the de facto standard for virtualization in the corporate world. It has tons of features, which if you are new to virtualization I won't get into here since most of it will go right over your head (no offense).

Parallels is an application made specifically for the Mac. One thing I like in particular about Parallels is its seamless mode. Basically it allows you to put a Windows program in your Mac's dock and run the program directly from there, as if it were a native Mac application.

Virtualbox is my application of choice for home use. Its best feature in my opinion is that it is free (although you can get certain versions of VMware for free as well). It has all the features that I need for home use without any of the hassle that comes with VMware, which is necessary for the custom setups that enterprise environments need. That's not to say it can't be set up in a number of different ways, however. I've even used Virtualbox in a pinch in production at work to get a VM up and running temporarily until I can get VMware running on the machine. I also use Virtualbox extensively for testing new images as I build them.

At home on my iMac, I use Virtualbox with a Windows 7 VM running in full screen mode on a separate space. That way, with a simple gesture on my Magic Mouse, I can switch effortlessly between my OS X and Windows 7 desktops. Most of my files are stored on a network drive, which both OSes can map to, so file sharing is not an issue either. The VM is setup with a NIC in bridged mode, so to my network it looks like the VM is a physical machine and receives an IP address on the network (192.168.1.XX instead of the 10.0.2.XX you get with Virtualbox set up with the default NAT). This allows the VM to access network services (like file shares, printers, etc.) as if it were another physical machine on the network. I don't do any gaming on my Mac (I have a separate Windows box for that) so to me, for the occasional Windows program I need to use, this setup works perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.