Brand New Lion Install Crashing 15-20 times per day

Reaction score
Brand new lion install, only firefox installed. "Windowserver" appears to be offender.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What Mac? How old? What previous version of Mac OS was used? What hardware, if any, was changed? Why did you do a fresh install of Lion?

Reaction score
honestly - not many people will be able to help you with the amount of information provided. Things people here like to know are:

- HW configuration
- What happens when the system crashes
- Are you doing something specific when it crashes
- How was the machine running before you installed Lion
- Have you tried things like switching RAM

OP
S
Reaction score
honestly - not many people will be able to help you with the amount of information provided. Things people here like to know are:

- HW configuration

2010 Macbook Pro i7.
-Never changed any hardware.
-Updated from Snow Leopard right when Lion released
-Battery failed this week as well as crashing problem and I brought to apple, replaced battery and confirmed no hardware failures so the crashing is a software issue.
-Erased hard drive and did a fresh install of Lion and ran software update.
-Issue persists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Did lion run ok after the upgrade prior the the battery failure?

OP
S
Reaction score

- HW configuration

Did lion run ok after the upgrade prior the the battery failure?

No it did not. It constantly crashed. It appears that the crashing occurs when the Nvidia card switches on. I looked for drivers on the Nvidia website and discovered that Nvidia does not yet support OSX Lion. Why release lion then? This has turned my computer into a $2000 paper weight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
No it did not. It constantly crashed. It appears that the crashing occurs when the Nvidia card switches on. I looked for drivers on the Nvidia website and discovered that Nvidia does not yet support OSX Lion. Why release lion then? This has turned my computer into a $2000 paper weight.

Well not all MAC use a NVIDIA graphic card .
Second I assume that you do get a install DVD of Leopard or Snow Leopard when you buy you're MAC
So it is always possible to return to Leopard or Snow Leopard .
So all you loose at this moment is the cost of Lion.
And wait until you're graphic card is supported by Lion .
But if you go back to Leopard or Snow Leopard do it as a clean install

OP
S
Reaction score
I no longer have those disks. But I'll borrow a friends or pirate bay that stuff.
Hopefully they get this figured out soon, I have a lot of respect for the company and am a loyal consumer of theirs. I have contacted support at least ten times about the issue. Emailed Tim Cook, CEO and Steve Jobs. I have also sent probably a 1000 crash reports to just flood their system with the issue, im getting fed up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Forget the pirate bay stuff.... we don't discuss that in these forums. Read our guidelines.

As for the driver issue: There is no issue, Lion includes drivers for all the hardware it supports. And as far as I know Lion is supported on all machines except PPC and Intel Core Duo. The correct drivers should be loaded. There's likely another problem with your machine that's causing the crashes.

What trouble shooting have you done? Did you run the Apple Hardware Test? (you can boot to the Recovery Partition and run the tests from there) Command R or use the OPTION key to boot to the Recovery partition.

OP
S
Reaction score
Forget the pirate bay stuff.... we don't discuss that in these forums. Read our guidelines.

As for the driver issue: There is no issue, Lion includes drivers for all the hardware it supports. And as far as I know Lion is supported on all machines except PPC and Intel Core Duo. The correct drivers should be loaded. There's likely another problem with your machine that's causing the crashes.

What trouble shooting have you done? Did you run the Apple Hardware Test? (you can boot to the Recovery Partition and run the tests from there) Command R or use the OPTION key to boot to the Recovery partition.

Yes I have performed all of those steps. The Genius Bar told me my hardware was 100% in working order and it was definitely a software issue so I wiped the hard drive. Ran disk utility from Recovery mode and erased the drive, restarted, ran the utility and installed a fresh copy of lion. Did I miss a step? As the issue persists.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the issue persists after doing a clean install of Lion, we have to assume it's related to hardware regardless of what the Apple genius told you. If the machine is still under warranty or Apple care, take it on back to them.

OP
S
Reaction score
If the issue persists after doing a clean install of Lion, we have to assume it's related to hardware regardless of what the Apple genius told you. If the machine is still under warranty or Apple care, take it on back to them.

I just have a hard time believing that test wouldn't detect any damage to the hardware. I watched him perform the test and everything checked out. After replacing the battery he further confirmed the computer was in working order. I assumed that something got mixed up in the upgrade from Snow Leopard so I downloaded Lion and mounted it to a USB drive. Then I booted from the USB drive and erased the Mac HD and installed Lion. Did I miss a step here and not completely erase the drive?

OP
S
Reaction score
UPDATE

Just downgraded to Snow Leopard. Absolutely no problems. Lion is massively flawed, will be giving Apple a piece of my mind. No way to treat their customers, Stevie Job's wouldn't let this kinda crap fly. Thank god they got Snow Leopard right.

Reaction score
Lion Crashing Continuously

I upgraded to Lion as well recently and have had nothing but bad experience. Initially my start-up would take over 10 minutes, this issue was resolved by clearing my caches.

Now my computer crashes consistently, I checked out the Error Report and it appears that the cause is connected to this snippet:
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000(7.1.2)[C27C8474-7285-3569-8130-F2C040474599]@0xffffff7f8159c000->0xffffff7f817fcfff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6.7)[6D54F06A-46B7-37FC-AF22-DE68DC18A1A3]@0xffffff7f80822000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.3.2)[6517D9A6-58F5-3CFC-B021-C882306150D5]@0xffffff7f80ca3000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.2)[55FF26D3-292D-3B4B-8AB7-1D25C8B4313B]@0xffffff7f80c6b000

This is completely tied to Lion as I never had a problem until I upgraded from Snow Leopard.

Here are my system specs:
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

- What happens when the system crashes:
When the system crashes the display gets messed up with lines throughout it as if it can refresh properly. Some times a message will appear stating that the system must be rebooted by holding the power button.

No, it has never happened when I have been sitting in front of it.

FANTASTIC

No

C

chas_m

While I and some 30 million other people (so far) have upgraded to Lion and experienced no problems whatsoever. Snow Leopard was great, Lion is better IMO.

So I tend to think the problem is with the copy of Lion that was downloaded, the user, or the machine.

Reaction score
While I and some 30 million other people (so far) have upgraded to Lion and experienced no problems whatsoever. Snow Leopard was great, Lion is better IMO.

Thanks for the enlightening response :D

I do agree that Lion is a good OS however as with any OS upgrade there are certain combinations of hardware + software versions which result in issues. Unfortunately I am one of the unlucky ones and the problems I`m encountering are severe.

During my research into my issue I have come across numerous people that are having serious crashing issues after their upgrade to Lion. But like you say, the majority is likely working just fine.

IMO Apple OS updates work great on the latest Hardware but can be suspect on not-so-latest HW, which I think is part of their business model.

The reason I posted this issue in this forum (as well in the Apple support) is to
1) identify it in the case others are having similar issues
2) possibly gain some insights from talented people that read these forums

So I tend to think the problem is with the copy of Lion that was downloaded, the user, or the machine.

I need to respond to these:

1) Lion Download - it appeared to go find and I would expect Apple to have some type of Checksum to ensure the install could not commence unless the entire install file was downloaded with integrity. You might have been implying that there was a faulty install binary published by Apple, I would hope Apple would have been fixed this with a patch. I doubt either of these apply so I think we can cross out the Download being the issue

2) User - I`m fine :) .... well except that I have computer I can`t depend on and I need to get work done

3) Machine - It worked just fine with Snow Leopard and issues did not occur until Lion was installed.

The problem appears to be the combination of Lion with my Machine (Hardware) which really points to the Lion OS having flaws and probably that it was not tested thoroughly for my configuration (going back to my early point that Apple OS updates work great on newer HW since that is probably where they focus their testing efforts).

My plan is to try figure this out with Apple support and hold off from rolling back to Snow Leopard just yet.

My experiences with Apple have been positive up to now which is why I`m not freaking. But doubts about Apple`s software are creeping in and I`m certain there is a fairly large group of Apple users I represent that feel this way since the Lion (as well as iPhoto `11) upgrade.

Just keep this post in mind when you are in this boat and you receive a hand wavy response that discounts your issues.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is your exact Mac Specs? In other words what Mac is this? Model? Year? CPU Speed?

I am running Lion on a 2007 C2D 2.4Ghz iMac and have not had those crashes you mention.

Reaction score
What is your exact Mac Specs? In other words what Mac is this? Model? Year? CPU Speed?

I am running Lion on a 2007 C2D 2.4Ghz iMac and have not had those crashes you mention.

Hey,

Here you go (I put them in a early post on this thread along with the snippet from my crash report)

System specs:
2008 iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz
Hey,

Here you go (I put them in a early post on this thread along with the snippet from my crash report)

System specs:
2008 iMac

and I've had Lion up on that config except I have 4Gigs of ram for over a month now with absolutely no problems

current uptime is 37 days

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry I missed your specs! :D

My iMac has the same hardware. Only difference is mine has an ATI Radeon HD 2600 with 256 Megs VRam and I have 4GB RAM installed. It's been quite stable. It's never shut down and in use 16 hours a day or more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.