all programmes downloading as dmg.dat files?

Reaction score
Hi, im running Mac OSX 10.4.11 on my mac at work. Recently for some reason whenever I download certain files they save as dmg.dat files and I cant open them. For example, I needed to download the flickr uploadr and the file downloaded as "FlickrUploadr-3.2.1-.......en.dmg.dat" when I click on it it asks me to select a program to open it with.

This is driving me crazy, can anyone help?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz
have you downloaded something that would have corrupted everything you download. It sounds like there is something that is making it do that?

OP
T
Reaction score
not that I can think of, the other mac in the office is doing the exact same thing as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What happens if you rename the file and take off the .dat? You can do that in Finder. Will the DMG then open?

I have never seen your issue but wonder if the files are fine and it's just the extension.

OP
T
Reaction score
lol deleting the .dat extension worked, dont know why i didnt think of doing that myself cheers. Still have no idea why it would put that extension on the end of everything i download tho.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.