• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sharing data...

C

crybaby

Hey

My first post, it hurts a little bit.
I have a Powermac G5 and a PC that I have built. Most of my time is spent working on my mac but I download music using PC apps on my PC. I have about a 120GB of mp3 on the PC.
What I would like to do is to be able to continue with the same set up but to be able to open all that music in the iTunes library.
What way should I go about it, a external HD or should I network ...anyhow remember that you are talking to a noob so don't hold back.

I have a wireless B net work in my home and I have some spare externals laying around but any other suggestion would be welcom!!!
I would likt to leave the data on the internal drive on the PC but I guess I can make an external out of it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
you should network both pc and mac. you can check my own tutorial here. hehe
http://www.chouk.co.uk/macsharing/

If you want to share your itunes music, the itunes on your pc and mac should be open.
SInce all ur musics are on your pc, go to itunes>preferences>sharing. Check the "share my music".

Back to your iTunes on mac, go to preferences>sharing and check "look for shared music"

Once it's done, go to your mac and you should eventually be able to see all ur pc's music files. BUt dont forget that your itunes on pc should be open.

OP
F

Fallooza

5.Connect your ethernet cable between your pc and mac. After a while you should see some folders in your network.
Be patient. It might take some time before you see folders popping up in yhe network.
Voila! You can now mount your drive on your mac

i wish i would have had that link when i networked my mac and pc!

OP
C

crybaby

Wow. Thanks for the fast response.
Another question. The way my network is, I have a dsl modem with a 5port switch attached to it that has my mac, pc etc on it. The wireless mac and pc are on the second floor but I'm not worring about those.

Anyway to network them using that set up (PS i did not read your tutorial yet)

OP
C

crybaby

I just wanted to add that i would like to keep the files on the PC and just accsess them from the mac, is that possible??/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
crybaby said:
I just wanted to add that i would like to keep the files on the PC and just accsess them from the mac, is that possible??/

i've already mentioned the steps above. And if you don't want to read my tutorials either, good luck.

OP
C

crybaby

No I just said I have not read it yet. Now I have but it's not really what I need I have an internet connection and I can not use the ethernet ports since I would not be able to connect online.
I said I appriciated your fast response and I do ...so ..can you help me with this or???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.