Macbook Pro 2009 vs Macbook Air 2011 - Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro from 2009 (2.26GHz dual core, 2gb ram), and considering upgrading to the new Macbook Air 2011 model (SKU 69914 - 1.7GHz i5, 4gb ram). i would like some suggestions.

First of all, i love my MBP, it use to run great, but over time, its starting to get hot really fast, it sometimes lags a while watching videos/ multitasking, and most noticeable, games run very poorly (not sure if this is because of the CPU/RAM/GPU) and most important, it is quite heavy for a carrying around Uni/ Out on the go. i have loved every second using this machine, which is why I'm sticking with macbook series.

Now with on a day to day basis, i tend to watch videos on the go with my laptop, use it for university, skyping, and also have the ability to play some games if i wanted to, etc, so i do like a system with a little power.

comparing the specs between the 2009 MBP and the 2011 MBA, the CPU on the MBP seems "faster" at 2.26GHz dual core, while the MBA is 1.7GHz but runs on a i5 processor.

basically my question is, will there be an increase or decrease in overall performance? between the two machines, and do you recommend the upgrade to a MBA?, I'm talking about every day use, videos, possible gaming, video streaming, etc.

would you guys recommend this upgrade, or will it be more of a downgrade from my current MBP?

cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
I believe the MBP 15"-17" are quad core. The 13" MBP is still dual core with the MBA. I've used a 2009 MBP model and it ran as if it were my mid 2010 model, so I would look into why yours would be having issues. You should upgrade the memory and HDD if you haven't already and it will help speed things up for you. If you are looking to be portable, I would suggest even getting the iPad rather than a whole new computer. I use my MBP for school, or general research and take my iPad with me everywhere else. But that's just my 0.02

Reaction score
i know im new here, but i love macbooks. the new i5's are supposed to run faster and more efficient. specially when compared to the older dual cores. the macbook air is more portable obviously but less utilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.