Software Update says I'm up to date, I'm not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) 2.26 GHZ, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD
Over the summer I downloaded a beta of an iTunes program for Mac. Eventually that program expired so I needed to download the real iTunes.

I did, and it was fine up until about a week ago. I was told that I needed to update my iTunes and I'd like to so I can get the new iOS for my iPhone when it's released. I clicked Download the new iTunes and Software Update came up but Apple Software Update says i'm up to date!

How can I make it so that it recognizes my application again? I didn't wanna uninstall it and then download the new one because I feel like I'd be in the same boat again. Also, my screensaver for iTunes Album Art claims it can't find my library now? What should I do?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What version of iTunes do you have now?
What version of OS X?

And what's a "beta of an iTunes program"? You mean an iTunes beta or some other application?

OP
iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently I have iTunes 10.4 (80) (It says that 10.4.1 is available to update)
I have MAC OS X Leopard 10.6.8.

I'm not exactly sure what the beta was. It was sort of a preview of iTunes 5 I guess? I saw it being talked about on a news site and I decided to download it but then it started to say that my preview edition of iTunes was going to expire in x days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Just go to the Apple web page, go to the software section, find iTunes and download the latest version from there. SW Update isn't required to get the latest version.

OP
iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just go to the Apple web page, go to the software section, find iTunes and download the latest version from there. SW Update isn't required to get the latest version.

Right. I was going to do that but that's only a temporary fix, no? I'll still have the issue where Software Update and my screensaver aren't working completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.