backlit keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
help! the keyboard on my 15" powerbook is not working anymore. I just bought my powerbook like a few weeks ago and ever since i put panther on it, my keyboard does not light. do you guys have any suggestions? maybe something i have to change... a setting? or do i have to take it to get it fixed? im very sad that it doesn't work. thanks in advance.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is my guess. Check your keyboard settings. I don't have Panther as of yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
if you only bought it a few weeks i suggest you call up AppleCare since you're still under the 90 day warranty period. don't mess around trying to fix things yourself or finding a temporary fix, you might as well send it in to them and have them potentially replace the keyboard. and while you're at it, tell them about any other problems so that they can fix it as well.

OP
EYPUFF
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
odd thing is, my keyboard began working again. it works perfectly fine now, i went to my computer this morning to turn on the brightness and all of a sudden the keyboard lit up. and i've been playing around with it all morning trying to see whether or not it'll stop turning on. but nope, it works fine now. what to do.. what to do. any suggestions?

S

shanx

once i got it working by blocking the sensors (under the speaker grill) I don't know how that helps, but is working ever since.

P

PowerbookG417

I personnaly havent done the upgrade to 10.3 yet still waiting for my educational version to come in, school takes forever to order software. but this seems to be a big issue going around on many posting boards. It looks like the issue causing this is the expose, work arounds for this are re-assigning the backlite keys or the expose keys. Give it a shot if it happens again and let me know.. i'll probably be running into the same issue

D

Daniel

Hey there. I've got a 17 inch powerbook and had exactly the same problem. On another forum (*shock*) I was told to reset the Power Management Unit, and this worked. Here are the macintosh instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

I'd recommend doing this, it takes 5 minutes and will save you having to take it to the store and be without it!

Good luck

PowerbookG417 said:
I personnaly havent done the upgrade to 10.3 yet still waiting for my educational version to come in, school takes forever to order software. but this seems to be a big issue going around on many posting boards. It looks like the issue causing this is the expose, work arounds for this are re-assigning the backlite keys or the expose keys. Give it a shot if it happens again and let me know.. i'll probably be running into the same issue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.