• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Powerbooks and Powermacs after all?

P

prodikal

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1320

One thing im concerned about is this quote:
Although previous reports had indicated that the PowerBooks would see a slight speed bump to 1.7GHz via Freescale's MPC7448 G4 microprocessor, more recent information suggests that Apple may have scrapped these plans. Instead, sources say the PowerBooks may continue to utilize the MPC7447A running at 1.67GHz, which is the same processor used in the existing PowerBook line.

Using the same chip, just upping the clock wouldnt that make the powerbooks run hotter?

OP
L

lil

prodikal said:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1320

One thing im concerned about is this quote:

Using the same chip, just upping the clock wouldnt that make the powerbooks run hotter?

It's not even suggesting the current 7447A will be pushed further than 1.67GHz from what I have read.

It's also worth noting the 7448 cannot go a huge amount faster than the 7447A. 2GHz was once touted but even 1.8GHz at the moment seems optimistic, and that would provide a 133MHz speed bump, not a lot in other words!

Curious to read the statements on the PowerBook 12" mind...

Vicky :flower:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am so ready for the PowerMac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hopefully when they do upgrade.. if it's not significant at all.. that they reduce the price. If they leave it at the current price, then I just don't see how it would be worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
lol, I cheer every time there ISN'T a powerbook update. Until then, I still have the coolest laptop on the market! but...time kills all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Murlyn said:
Hopefully when they do upgrade.. if it's not significant at all.. that they reduce the price. If they leave it at the current price, then I just don't see how it would be worth it.

I think keeping the entry-line models at the same price would be fair, but I think they should reduce the higher end 15" price, as well as the 17". The 1.67 GHz 15" is 300 dollars more than the other 15", and for two fairly small feature points.

rs2sensen said:
lol, I cheer every time there ISN'T a powerbook update. Until then, I still have the coolest laptop on the market! but...time kills all

...you would stop technological progress simply for the sake of bragging rights? That sort of spiteful attitude is the kind of thing that causes the bull**** "Apple vs. Microsoft" hatred. The fact that someone else GAINS is no LOSS to you.

lil said:
It's also worth noting the 7448 cannot go a huge amount faster than the 7447A. 2GHz was once touted but even 1.8GHz at the moment seems optimistic, and that would provide a 133MHz speed bump, not a lot in other words!

Yeah, definitely. I think the best move would be to go ahead and use the 7448 and only upgrade it to 1.7 GHz, as the rumor is stating. The real benefit here is less power consumption and overheating for relatively similar speeds. With the DDR2 RAM in place, the processor speed bump itself will be insignificant anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Meyvn said:
...you would stop technological progress simply for the sake of bragging rights? That sort of spiteful attitude is the kind of thing that causes the bull**** "Apple vs. Microsoft" hatred. The fact that someone else GAINS is no LOSS to you.

hey, cool down pal. relax!

It's not like the coming update is going to be a big one. everything I've seen tends to point towards a minor speed bump. and technology is going to continue to grow no matter what apple does. They may be an innovator, but they are not the only innovator. I would prefer they leave the minor updates alone and focus more on development of major things. I 'm certainly not saying that apple should stop new product development.

I am a media professional. I work in print design, web design, and video/audio editing. New technology is always of a benefit for me. But the people who are really doing the serious work won't be using laptops. Sure you can do it on a laptop, but a G5 desktop will blow away any G4.

How does this relate to Apple vs. Microsoft hatred? Several times on this forum I have called people out on that crap, and I am insulted that you bring it up here, especially when it has no relation. I wouldn't have spent a couple grand on a PC if I thought Microsoft wasn't worth anything. I wouldn't be on a Mac forum if I was against Apple. I am smart enough to see the benefits of both, as I assume you, and most (but not all forum members) can also see.

And as you said above, the fact that someone else gains is no loss to me. Our current lines of computers are certainly not crap. And they will be able to run new software for many years. It's not my business what computers my competitors use. These days, most use PC because thats what their clients use. C'est la vie.

Nevertheless, I made what you quoted as a light comment, and I have seen similar comments a million times on the board. Every time I see comments like yours where people jump down each other's throats, I really worry about the atmosphere of Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rs2sensen said:
Nevertheless, I made what you quoted as a light comment, and I have seen similar comments a million times on the board. Every time I see comments like yours where people jump down each other's throats, I really worry about the atmosphere of Mac-Forums.

For the record, I wasn't accusing you of Microsoft-bashing, and it was my fault for making it appear that I was. What I was getting onto you for was the draconic envy that's associated with statements like "don't update, I want to have the best!" The fact that I brought other subjects into it was unfair of me, and I apologize for being overly heated. I've had a long week with Apple in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
What have they got to upgrade on the PM?
533MHz ram? What else..
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i think that they are still keen to get out a 3GHz PM before the first intel PM.

IMO i think that they owe it to the consumer to try and get one out as soon as they can

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alexmaccoll said:
533MHz ram? What else..
Alex

PM? Dual core processors. That's fairly significant, I must say. Four processing cores in one machine.

The PB is the one that doesn't have as significant of updates. Just a dual layer burner, bigger standard hard drives, better/slightly faster processor, higher resolution...RAM's the only large thing they'll probably update. Of course, there's also the possibility they'll surprise us with a 'Front Row' laptop, but I think Jobs knows business people don't want a home media center.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
alexmaccoll said:
533MHz ram? What else..
Alex

300gb hard drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
i hope my dual g5 breaks at the time when they cant replace it with a dual single core lol ohh id kill for a quad core PowerPC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know what that means? They're going to have to come up with an extremely impressive set up when the PowerMacs switch over to Intel.

OP
L

lil

Yonah (the dual core Pentium M) is due Q1 2006, so not too much to start catching up on. Just need 64bit support and the Pentium M would be up to scratch.

Vicky :flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Up to scratch in desktops?

OP
L

lil

Meyvn said:
Up to scratch in desktops?

Definitely.

Don't let the 'M' scare you. I have long held the opinion the Pentium 4 was a poorer processor design than the Pentium III. The latetr at the time just could not be pushed farther.

The Pentium M is if anything a Pentium III that was re-designed a little.

They are fast processors indeed, remember how the early Pentium 4s were shown up by the Pentium III? Same thing applies now, a 2.2GHz single core Sonoma Pentium M can really hold its own with a 3GHz Pentium 4.

The mobile tag should not be taken as meaning 'lesser', it has more energy management, which can cause a speed hit, but not a massive one.

If anything the fact it runs much cooler means that heat generation is less of an issue, meaning less drastic cooling required, quieter computers and in the case of iMacs, Mac Minis, PowerBook etc. - less chances of overheating.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
Does intel even have a dual CPU soloution that is != Xeon?

OP
P

prodikal

intel, has the dual core. but if you are talking about dual cpu i think the only other multi cpu chip is the over priced itanium

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro... 2.33GHz C2D, 2 gb ram. 120gb hd. 250gb external firewire HD
macEfan said:
300gb hard drives?

What can you do with a 300 that you can't with a 250??? Just a little wondering is all! Peace!

Bring out the newbs! I needs me a new PB and PM!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.