PowerBook Cleaning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
I've had my PowerBook for about a year, and it's starting to look like it.
What I mean is that the screen is looking kind of dirty, as well as the case. Some of the keys have a dingy look to them, and there's some built up dirt down in some of the little crannies.
What I would like to know, is if anyone has any suggestions for all out cleaning a PowerBook.
What do you use on the screen? Water? A special cleaner?
What do you use on the keyboard?
How about on the aluminum case?

Thanks,

Isral

L

lil

I use iKlear.

It's recommended by Apple and it may cost a bit more than some stuff but it will get your PowerBook looking and feeling like new every time.

Also if you want to protect the keyboard I recommend the iSkin's that they make for PowerBooks.

You can get them in clear, artic (blue) or pink. :flower:

That way the keycaps are protected from dirt, it doesn't hinder typing really at all (takes a moment or two to get used to it) and protects against any spills.

Those are my hot tips for keeping your PowerBook pristine.

The iKlear btw can be used on the case, keys and screen!

Vicky :flower:
iKlear at Apple Store

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I also use iKlear on the screen and the case.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Thanks... looks like I'm picking up some iKlear!

Isral

J

jn4jenny

Big ditto on the iSkin. It keeps dirt from falling between the keys and, if you remove it before closing the PB, it keeps finger oils and dirt from transferring from keyboard to screen.

Also a big ditto on the iKlear, but don't buy it from Apple. Ripoff prices! Try a third party mac products dealer (I use shaggymac.com for my iKlear and it's like $9 for 12 individually wrapped cleaner packs, but the bottle is even cheaper.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
jn4jenny said:
Big ditto on the iSkin. It keeps dirt from falling between the keys and, if you remove it before closing the PB, it keeps finger oils and dirt from transferring from keyboard to screen.

Also a big ditto on the iKlear, but don't buy it from Apple. Ripoff prices! Try a third party mac products dealer (I use shaggymac.com for my iKlear and it's like $9 for 12 individually wrapped cleaner packs, but the bottle is even cheaper.)

warning on the iskin: it leaves permanent white marks on your screen that cannot be removed. no official response has been given by iskin yet.

J

jn4jenny

solarith said:
warning on the iskin: it leaves permanent white marks on your screen that cannot be removed. no official response has been given by iskin yet.

For the record, I have been using an iSkin for over a year and a half and there are NO marks on my screen from it. I clean my PB with an iKlear about once every two weeks, and I clean the iSkin in the kitchen sink with warm soapy water once a month. I have SEEN this so-called "white residue" and it happens to be soap or dishwasher powder that's left on the iSkin after washing. If you didn't rinse your iSkin well after washing, that's your bad.

By the way, iKlear is a lot cheaper if you buy it somewhere besides from Apple. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
jn4jenny said:
For the record, I have been using an iSkin for over a year and a half and there are NO marks on my screen from it. I clean my PB with an iKlear about once every two weeks, and I clean the iSkin in the kitchen sink with warm soapy water once a month. I have SEEN this so-called "white residue" and it happens to be soap or dishwasher powder that's left on the iSkin after washing. If you didn't rinse your iSkin well after washing, that's your bad.

By the way, iKlear is a lot cheaper if you buy it somewhere besides from Apple. :)

I did not wash the iSkin. It was brand new and these marks appeared. I found out that they can be carefully buffed out with one of those microsuede cloths. I now use the cloth to cover the iSkin before closing the Powerbook. This works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.