ON hold:AUTHENTICATION REQUIRED

Reaction score
guys please i need your help, im using a network printer and its been working perfectly fine after updating to OSX 10.7.1. Everytime i try to print, i get this error message : On HOLD:AUTHENTICATION REQUIRED, so far ive exhausted all the possible troubleshooting to make it work, just togive you an idea about the steps ive done so far

1. reset all printer, add the printer (since im connected to a server printer, i go to customized toolbar and enter the ff : advance,device: windows, device url:
smb://user:password@workgroup/server/sharename, and then i manually choose the driver for HP colorlaserjet 4700,Click share this printer and it looks good from there until i try to print,

2. installed new HP printer driver updates for mac os x10.7.1 - not working

3, repeat step1- no luck

4, run available updates by mac, repeat steps 1 again- still not working,

5,i have access to the print server so im sure that i have the right uname and password and i tried it to other macbooks and windows pc and its working but not n this macbook.

...please im desperate to make it work,any advice or workaround???:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz
i would remove the printer in print & scan. Then add the printer in there aswell, it should pick up the printer off your network automatically. We recently had a new printer and it just picked the printer up.

Hope this helps if it makes sense.

Reaction score
Why?

I am looking for the same answer. The person who replied totally misunderstood the question. I can't understand why people offer answers if they don't even spend the time to try to understand the question.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am looking for the same answer. The person who replied totally misunderstood the question. I can't understand why people offer answers if they don't even spend the time to try to understand the question.

I know that it can be frustrating when looking for an answer to a problem but that doesn't give you the excuse to criticize another person's reply who obviously was trying to be helpful. We like to always maintain a friendly attitude in our forums.

Thanks for understanding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.