Connected To Router, But What About Internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
So this is something I have always wondered about. My little signal strength meter on the right top corner show my WIFI signal strength, but how can I tell if it is connected to the internet? When I click on the antenna, it only show info on the available WIFI's Am I missing an icon?
Please help this Dummy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
AFAIK, you'd have to either walk over to your router and see if the green light is lit for internet connection, or you'd have to open an app like Safari on your Mac to verify you have an internet connection.
As you've discovered, that icon on your Mac only tells you if you're connected to a wi-fi network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you do NOT have an internet connection, but have a connection to the router, there will be an "!" overlayed on the signal strength graphic.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
OK, thanks. That's what I was wondering. My router is in a different room from my Mac, so I can't see the light from my work desk. When the internet is slow, you get the same result as no connection to the internet, so trying to open a page doesn't really tell you if you're connected or not, just that it's not loading.
Deckyon, I'll unplug the phone line and look for that bar in the signal strength.
Thanks guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.