System backup regimen ok? ignore home; var

Reaction score
Hi all,

My backup practice consists of -
1. rsync my /home (which is under filevault, so time machine is not used) to a truecrypt volume on an external disk (on a weekly basis)
2. use ccc to make a system backup onto an hfs+ partition on the same external disk (on a monthly basis)

Seek your opinion if this backup practice is safe/ok?

Secondly, in the system cloning, will it be ok to ignore these 2 folders -
1. home (rationale - I'm backing up my home folder to the Truecrypt partition).
2. var (rationale - these will get dropped when I shut down my system - and therefore are unique to each logon).

Thanks

New

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hello and welcome to MacForums ,

1st let me applaude your use of a redundant back up system . The only real change I would suggest ( time machine is a personal choice but so very simple ) is that I would not keep both of my back-ups on the same drive. If you are going thru the time/trouble to keep both why take the chance of losing both thru the same issue.
I suggest a two drive system.. I have 3 ( lost all once ) drives in use.

1.time machine-on site
2.ccc -on site
3.ccc-at a buddys house ( i have one of his at my place so its a great excuse to get together every week or so to have a beer and update our back-ups)

While I know this is a bit much for most people but I vowed never to lose everything again. And if I am unlucky enough to have my place burn down or ripped of while me and my Macbook are at home i am all set.

Hope this helps
Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The only real change I would suggest ( time machine is a personal choice but so very simple ) is that I would not keep both of my back-ups on the same drive.
Agreed - this defeats the purpose. It doesn't matter how many backups you have if they are all on the same drive.

3.ccc-at a buddys house ( i have one of his at my place so its a great excuse to get together every week or so to have a beer and update our back-ups)
Using nerdy excuses to meet up for a beer? Nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.