HDD Upgrade

Reaction score
New to Mac. I have a Mac Book Pro 17". It is a recert. I did not get any Doc. or disc with it. I did buy a Snow Lepard disc. If I put a new HDD in it can I use the Snow Lepard disc to put operating system back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hello and welcome to MacForums ,

Yes you can use that disk to reinstall the OS onto your new drive, But tell us why you want / need to put a new drive in. Is the old one bad , too small ? If the new drive is just not big enough then I suggest cloning it to the new drive instead of starting from scratch....
The more you share the more we can help..

However not everyone agrees with me...

http://eshop.macsales.com/articles/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-your-old-drive-to-a-new-drive

Hope this helps
Clay

OP
B
Reaction score
it came with a 500GB and i want to upgrade to a 1TB. thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I gave you the link for a fresh install heres a link to Carbon Copy Cleaner...My choice for doing what you wish to do. I use ccc as one of my back ups so all i would do is put the new drive in and boot from my ccc drive and clone the the new one.
If you don't have a cloned back up ( and I believe you should ) then just put the new drive into an enclosure and clone from the drive you have now then swap them.

Anyway I hope I have helped and feel free to ask more...

Carbon Copy Cloner - Home
Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
I gave you the link for a fresh install heres a link to Carbon Copy Cleaner...My choice for doing what you wish to do. I use ccc as one of my back ups so all i would do is put the new drive in and boot from my ccc drive and clone the the new one.
If you don't have a cloned back up ( and I believe you should ) then just put the new drive into an enclosure and clone from the drive you have now then swap them.

Anyway I hope I have helped and feel free to ask more...

Carbon Copy Cloner - Home
Clay

+1 I did the same thing when I switched my HDD, saved me a lot of time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.