Reinstalling OSX on Mac - which version is supported?

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to reinstall OSX on my macbook because I can't boot up from the HDD anymore. I tried restoring using the install disk, but no luck.
My question is: which version do I install? I don't have the original install disk as I purchased it second hand. I do however have a 10.5.5 and a 10.4.9 install disk from my other Macbooks.
But when inserting the 10.4.9 disk and pressing option, the CD is not recognised; it only shows the Hard disk option to boot. (i tried to boot from it with another macbook, and on that one it did boot, so the disk is fine)
And when trying with the 10.5.5 install disk, i can boot from it, but after choosing the install language, it thinks for a minute and then tells me that OSX cannot be installed from this disk...

Does the macbook hardware only support certain versions of the software to install? If so, which version is the correct one for mine? I had a look on the apple support site, but cannot seem to find what my macbook model is, as it only seems to refer to them by year and color...

on the back of my macbook it says Model No: A1181, TM and copyright: Apple 2007. it is a white macbook.Apart form that i can't give you the exact specs, as I can't get boot from the HD.

Hoping anyone can help me... thanks,
Tim

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need to reinstall OSX on my macbook because I can't boot up from the HDD anymore. I tried restoring using the install disk, but no luck.
My question is: which version do I install? I don't have the original install disk as I purchased it second hand. I do however have a 10.5.5 and a 10.4.9 install disk from my other Macbooks.

Those won't work either...unless they are the exact same model MacBook.

Have you considered that maybe your MacBook's hard drive is dead...and thus could be the source of all these issues?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
The hard drive is fine, when I boot from the install disk, I can see the hard drive, and I formatted it using Disk Utility when it was clear that it was beyond recovery. I would just like to find out which version works for my macbook, or at least know where I can look this information up...

Thanks,
Tim

OP
T
Reaction score
OK, it seems to be 10.4.6, I'm going to try and download a copy and reinstall it from there

thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
The disk did you get when you buy MAC ?
Or did you buy the disk separate from APPLE store ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK, it seems to be 10.4.6, I'm going to try and download a copy and reinstall it from there...

"Downloading a copy" really isn't a solution...since any downloaded copy of Mac OS 10.4.6 would be illegal. There are no legal "downloadable" copies of OS 10.4.6!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go out and purchase a OS X.6 Snow Leopard full retail install DVD, black colour and not a silver grey model specific disc as you found have they will not work. Set you back about the $60.00 mark, then repair the drive, format, and do a clean install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.