Bluetooth help please

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a 2010 Macbook Pro. My bluetooth just stopped working a few days ago. It turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I restarted the computer and now it just says 'bluetooth not available' when you click the icon in the menu bar. Any ideas of how to fix this would be appreciated.

Tbone

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible the Blue Tooth radio is not working. Open up your System Profiler application and see if BT is listed. If it's not and you have your original install DVD, try running the Apple Hardware Test to see what if anything it says about BT.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have seen a SMC reset fix missing bluetooth on occasion.

OP
T
Reaction score
Found the system profiler, clicked on bluetooth and it says no information found...what does this mean? I'll try the hardware test and see what happens.

OP
T
Reaction score
Update:

So when I checked the system profiler it said there was no information available for the bluetooth. In the finder the bluetooth icon wasn't even there. I shut down and restarted with the hardware test. Ran the test and it found no problems. I restarted the computer and the bluetooth was working! Turned on the Magic mouse(only bluetooth device I use) and it's working normally thought the bluetooth icon looks different now. In the menu bar the icon has 3 dots across it which I haven't noticed before but it's working.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully this won't happen again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.