Quick Snow Leopard question

Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem with my Macbook.

Long story short, my hard drive was wipe completely. Now It doesn't have a OS. I don't have the recover DVD's it came with when new. My question is Can I buy the Snow Leopard DVD from apple.com and install that with no problem? I read online I have to have Leopard before I can install Snow Leopard..

Thanks

btw it's a 2007 Black Macbook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to buy the full boxed version of Snow Leopard which includes iWork and iLife. I don't know if Apple has it in stock. They do, however, have the single install version of Snow Leopard (without the apps) for $29.99.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Well I rarely used iwork and ilife since I have Microsoft office and PS..Just to clarify I don't need any OS install on my MB to install Snow Leopard? But installing the $30 version from apple.com will leave me with no ilife and iwork?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's correct. The $29.99 version does not include iLife as it's only an upgrade version, and yes, it will install clean without Leopard being present.

The full boxed version is really what you're supposed to buy, however, it appears Apple is no longer selling it on line.

C

chas_m

This is because the iLife (and iWork) apps are all now available on the Mac App Store, so once he installs Snow Leopard he can buy which of those he would like on a per-app basis.

So there's really no need for a "Snow Leopard Box Set" anymore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So there's really no need for a "Snow Leopard Box Set" anymore.

I wonder about that? As far as I'm aware, the Snow Leopard upgrade purchase ($29.99) is supposed to be used only when upgrading from Leopard. Also, I found the full boxed set at several places on line. Pricing is around $129 which is still a good deal considering you also get iWork along with the iLife apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.