New iMac internet goes out after a few minutes

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Last night I purchased ab iMac and joined your side. I love it, but am having a few issues. I am able to identify my home network and connect to it. After I connect to it, I have Internet access. However, after i leave and come back after 15 minutes or so the Internet no longer works. It shows I am still connected to the wireless network, but Internet pages fail to load. If I disconnect from the network and reconnect to it, the Internet works again but it's the same story over and over again.

DHCP is enabled, and nothing else seems off. Obviously something is right because I have network and Internet access at first. Does the iMac have some weird settings I'm not seeing? I have searched forums and solutions but to no avail.

Seems like Mac and I aren't getting off to a good start...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Turn off iPv6 and PPPoE if these are on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
There are known issues with 'sleep' mode disconnecting the wireless. There is lots of stuff on the internet about the issue because I have the same problem with a new iMac 27"..check what your time-out settings are in your preferences and adjust to a longer period if necessary. I have found that letting the machine find it's feet again for a while after waking up will re-connect.

You can also try disconnecting and re-connect your wireless router via it's own portal..you need to find it's own ip address in your network settings and list it as a top site in Safari so that you can readily access it..I wouldn't recommend dropping the power to your wireless router on a regular basis although it does help to perform a reset occasionally.

The router should also give you an option to do a firmware update, so do this as soon as possible.

Also check your wireless router position, it needs to be as close to your machine as it can be or centrally at a high point to your dwelling.

Apart from that it's a pain in the butt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
My iMac did the same thing when I first got it. I was using a Belkin N+ router at the time. When I purchased an Airport Extreme, the problem went away, and I have also never has a problem with it staying connected to a Linksys router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
My iMac did the same thing when I first got it. I was using a Belkin N+ router at the time. When I purchased an Airport Extreme, the problem went away, and I have also never has a problem with it staying connected to a Linksys router.

Yes I had heard that certain wireless routers were Mac specific..mine's Belkin 54G and the firmware update is obsolete.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.